The Speaker's Society Awards
The Italian marble on the walls of the House of Delegates Chamber and the new Senate Chamber is an unusual rust and black coloring which approximates the gold and black of the Maryland state flag. Both of these chambers are part of the new annex to the State House which was built in 1902-6. The architects of the annex were Baldwin & Pennington.
The larger of the two legislative chambers, the House has 141 members, three from each of the state's 47 districts. The panels on either side of the room are part of the computerized voting system activated by a switch which is set in the lower part of each desk. The plexiglass booths at the left of each balcony are for radio and TV reporters. The "pencil press" sit at the left of the Speaker's desk.
Around the room are portraits of former Speakers of the House of Delegates, arranged in chronological order.
This room was completely refurbished in 1992 and, at that time, the beautiful Tiffany skylight, installed during construction of the annex in 1902-06, was restored. The colors in the room are those that were used when the room was built in the early days of the 20th century.