The Archives Room marks the end of the 18th Century State House. A brick floor and vaulted ceiling (brick under plaster) were installed in this room in 1858 to provide a fire proof room in which to store state records. This room was restored to its mid-19th century appearance as an archives room in 1983-84 for the celebrations of the 350th anniversary of the founding of the colony of Maryland.
The exhibits in this room are devoted to the early State House, the evolution of the buildings within State Circle, historic furnishings and the dome.
The History of the State House Dome: On display is a cross-section model of the dome showing its construction of cypress beams and assembly with wooden pegs. The model was made for the Maryland State Archives by Rebecca Fuller.
An exhibit showing images from the inside of the dome as well as views of Annapolis from the balcony are also displayed in this room.
The Buildings Within State Circle: This exhibit discusses the two State Houses which were built before the present one and the many changes which have been made to the present one since its completion in 1779. It also describes other buildings on State Circle, including the Old Treasury Building which was built between 1735-36 and is the oldest public building in Annapolis.
The State House and State Circle: An exhibit panel time featuring important drawings, floorplans and photographs of the State House as well as historic interior spaces.