The Senate Committee Room
The Senate Committee Room was built as part of the original 1779 State House to serve as a meeting room for senators and a place to entertain their constituents. The room is now a gallery space featuring some of the most historically significant portraits from the state-owned art collection--a collection founded by Charles Willson Peale. The wall adjacent to the Old Senate Chamber features a wallpaper mural depicting the scene of Washington’s resignation. The mural was commissioned for the new exhibits and is based on the most recent scholarly research on 18th Century Congressional protocol for ceremonies and special events.
The floor in this room is a hard pine and was installed during the 1948 renovations of the Old Senate Chamber. The mantel and fireplace in the room were installed in 1976, as part of a restoration project in honor of the Bicentennial of the United States.