Portraits of Maryland's four signers of the Declaration of Independence are on the side walls. Beginning with the portraits on the left and going clockwise around the room, they are:
- William Paca (1740-1799) by John Beale Bordley (1800-1882). This portrait was painted in 1836, and the head is after Charles Willson Peale. Paca was governor of
Thomas Stone (1743-1787) by John Beale Bordley. The head of this portrait, which was painted in 1836, is after Robert Edge Pine (1730?-1788). Stone served in both the Maryland House of Delegates and the Maryland Senate.
Carroll of Carrollton, (1737-1832), by Thomas Sully (1783-1872). This
portrait was painted in 1834, after Carroll's death and is based on life
studies for the "Marquis of Wellesley" portrait. Carroll was the only Roman
Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence. He was a member of
the Maryland Senate from 1790-1800 and its president in 1783. He was also
a U.S. Senator from Maryland and resigned from the U.S. Senate to retain
his seat in the Maryland Senate. At the time of his death in 1832, he was
the last surviving signer.
Chase (1741-1811) by John Beale Bordley. The head of this portrait,
which was painted in 1836, is after the 1811 portrait by John Wesley Jarvis.
Chase was an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court from 1796-1811.
On the back wall of the Senate Chamber are portraits of Edwin Warfield
and John Walter Smith, both former governors and presidents of the Maryland
Senate. It was during the administrations of these two men that the present
annex to the State House, which contains both the Senate and House of Delegates
Chambers, was built. At the same time, the Old Senate Chamber was restored
to its appearance of 1783 when George Washington resigned as Commander-in-Chief
of the Continental Army.
Warfield (1848-1920) by Thomas Cromwell Corner (1865-1938). Warfield
was a member of the Maryland Senate from 1882-86 and its president in 1886.
He was governor of Maryland from 1904-08.
Walter Smith (1845-1925) by Thomas Cromwell Corner. Smith was a member
of the Maryland Senate from 1890-98 and was its president in 1894. He was
governor of Maryland from 1900-04. Smith served in the U.S. House of Representatives
from March 1899 - January 1900 and in the U.S. Senate from March 26, 1908
- March 1921.
On the desk at the front of the chamber are two small statues, or maquettes.
The one on the left is of John Hanson (1721-1783), a Marylander and the
first President of the United States under the Articles of Confederation
in 1781. The one on the right is Charles Carroll of Carrollton. These are
smaller versions of the statues on display in the U.S. Capitol by Richard
The skylight is by Tiffany & Co. and was installed during the construction
of the annex addition to the State House in 1902-05. The annex was designed
by the architects Baldwin & Pennington. The skylight was completely
restored in 1989-90.