The State House and Public Circle, 1789
This engraving, attributed to Charles Willson Peale, was published in the February 1789 issue of the Columbian Magazine. The State House is shown with the dome that was constructed between 1786-1797. To the right of the capitol is the Conference Chamber, used by Maryland’s Upper House and gGovernor from 1718-1779, the octagonal outdoor privy, known as the “public temple,” and the Old Treasury Building built in 1735. The home of cabinetmaker John Shaw is visible at the far left.
When first published in 1789, this engraving was not colored. The colors on this print copy of the engraving were probably added in the 19th century and do not reflect the original appearance of the dome.