Requesting Files from the State Archives as well as Refile instructions.
Procedure for Requesting Files from the State Archives
If your agency has current business that requires your agency to access a file it has previously transferred to the State Archives, here are procedures for requesting the file.
Requests can be made by:
Mail: Attn: Sheila Simms; 350 Rowe Boulevard; Annapolis, MD 21401
Use a separate form for each request. Please feel free to save, print out or make copies of this form as needed.
Whether or not you use the provided form, all requests must include the following information:
- Requestor Information
- Name, agency, phone number, and email of the person requesting the record
- Address to which the record should be shipped
- Information on the record being requested
- Agency or Court
- Records Series (type of record - for example: Foster Care File, Civil Papers, Minutes, etc.)
- Record Series Number (for example: T3351, C200, S11)
- Box number (if applicable)
- Case/file number (if applicable)
- Name or description on file
- Location (for example OR-8-2-32 or HF-11-15-34 or CW-1-2-3)
- Date of file
All of this information is available in the Guide to Government Records. Or, you can refer to the location inventory sent to you after a record transfer to the Archives has occurred.
The Archives will send the file to you by a tracked shipping method using a bonded carrier, along with a cover sheet summarizing all of the information of the file request.
Refiles - How to Return Files to the State Archives
When your agency’s current business with the file is complete, return the original file to the Archives using a shipping method that is tracked, such as UPS, FED EX, Courier, or USPS with certified mail return receipt requested. Be sure to include the cover sheet that we sent with the file, to ensure proper re-filing.
If you have any questions, please contact the Archive’s Help Desk at 410-260-6487 or Sheila Simms, directly, at 410-260-6430.
This web site is provided as a courtesy of the Maryland State Archives. As you develop your records management program, you should consult with your agency’s Records Officer.
Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!
© Copyright May 05, 2023 Maryland State Archives