CARROLL COUNTY, MARYLAND

EXECUTIVE BRANCH

EDUCATION

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


BOARD OF EDUCATION

Educational matters that affect Carroll County come under the control of the Board of Education (Code Education Article, secs. 4-101 through 4-126).

The Board is composed of six members. Five are elected by the voters to four-year terms (Code Election Law Article, secs. 8-801 through 8-806). A nonvoting student member, chosen by the Carroll County Student Association, serves a one-year term. Members of the Board of County Commissioners, ex officio, serve as nonvoting members (Code Education Article, secs. 3-401 through 3-404).

PUBLIC SCHOOLS

The Carroll County Public School System is governed by the County Board of Education (Code Education Article, secs. 4-101 through 4-126). In addition, through the review and approval of the annual operating and capital budgets, Carroll County government exercises authority over the County Public Schools. Moreover, through the establishment and monitoring of various financial and academic policies and regulations, the State Department of Education also has considerable oversight of county public schools. Indeed, under Maryland law, the State Department of Education works with county public schools to comply with requirements and mandates of federal law.

SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
The Superintendent of Schools administers the Carroll County Public School System, and serves as executive officer, secretary, and treasurer of the Board of Education (Code Education Article, secs. 4-102; 4-201 through 4-206).

With the approval of the State Superintendent of Schools, the Board of Education appoints the Superintendent of Schools to four-year terms.


CARROLL COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Carroll Community College was founded in 1976 as a branch of Catonsville Community College. Formerly located on South Center Street, it opened its present Washington Road campus in 1990.


PUBLIC LIBRARY

Funded by membership dues, the first library in Carroll County opened in 1863 as the Westminster Public Library. Nearly 100 years later, also at Westminster, a public library building was donated and endowed in 1949 as a gift to the City by Mr. and Mrs. Walter H. Davis. When the Carroll County Public Library organized in 1958, it included the Davis Library, the Hampstead Library run by the Junior Women's Club of Hampstead, and one bookmobile.

Today, the Carroll County Public Library remains based in Westminster and supported by five branch libraries. At North Carroll in Greenmount the first branch library opened in 1958, followed by branches in Eldersburg in 1983, Taneytown in 1989, Mount Airy in 1993, and Finksburg in 2009.

Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line


Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright March 24, 2017 Maryland State Archives