ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS
St. Mary's College of Maryland originally was chartered under the name St. Mary's Seminary in 1840 (Chapter 190, Acts of 1839). In 1845, it was incorporated as St. Mary's Female Seminary (Chapter 257, Acts of 1845). The Seminary reformed as St. Mary's Seminary Junior College in 1949 (Chapter 676, Acts of 1949). It became St. Mary's College of Maryland, a State institution, in 1964 (Chapter 59, Acts of 1964). In 1967, St. Mary's College of Maryland reorganized as a four-year college of liberal arts and sciences.
Kent Hall, St. Mary's College of Maryland, St. Mary's City, Maryland, May 2009. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Within the State college system, St. Mary's College of Maryland is the only four-year institution devoted to the liberal arts. The College was designated a public honors college in 1992 (Chapter 209, Acts of 1992).
Academically, the College is organized into seventeen academic departments, offering twenty-three majors and twenty-six minors. The College also offers a graduate degree in Master of Arts in Teaching.
The College receives State General Funds in the form of an annual grant.
The College is governed by the Board of Trustees, which has broad authority in managing the affairs of the College. The Board may not be superseded in its authority by any State agency or office except as expressly provided in law.
St. Mary's Hall, St. Mary's College of Maryland, St. Mary's City, Maryland, May 2009. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
The Board of Trustees consists of twenty-five members. Upon recommendation of the Board of Trustees, the Governor appoints twenty-three members with Senate advice and consent. Twenty-two are chosen for six-year terms; one student serves a one-year term. Two members serve ex officio (Code Education Article, secs. 14-401 through 14-409).
© Copyright November 19, 2018 Maryland State Archives