Guide to Research in the Public Records of Baltimore City

Former City Archivist William LeFurgy and his staff, building on the work of his predecessor Richard Cox, prepared type-written guides to the permanent records of Baltimore City. These guides, supplemented by some later listings by more recent staff, describe the city records brought under archival management through about 1990.

Searchable pdfs of these typescript guides include:

  • The LeFurgy … Guide to the Baltimore City Archives (113 pages), which provides an excellent overview of City record groups and series within those record groups, as well as a brief history of the archives itself. This guide covers all material accessioned through 1984 for record groups (BRGs) 1-61 and manuscript collections (BMS) 1-9.
  • A more detailed list of record groups and series by number (575 pages), often including container lists. Record groups (BRGs) 1-74 are included.
  • The folder listings for the Mayors’ Papers (160 pages, BRG 9), covering the administrations from 1904-1971.
  • The Guide to security microfilm (353 pages), which provides an inventory to the filming of permanent historical records that was completed by October 25, 1985. William LeFurgy initiated careful creation and maintenance of security microfilm of materials deemed permanent historical records. The numbering system in this inventory should be used in conjunction with collection listings in the Guide to Government Records. Security microfilm created subsequent to 1985 has a reel box inventory online via Maryland State Archives Special Collections, but no reel content descriptions.

For the updated list of Baltimore City record groups (BRGs) and manuscript collections (BMSs), see the page Record Groups in the side navigation bar.

There are also Records Retention and Disposal schedules for nearly all permanent and temporary records currently housed at the new City Archives location, along with transmittal sheets detailing record transfers.  These are not yet available as pdfs on line, but are available for consultation at the City Archives.