MARYLAND SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS

The Maryland School for the Deaf provides free public education to deaf and hard-of-hearing Maryland residents from birth to age 21.


[photo, Denton Building, Columbia Campus, Maryland School for the Deaf, Columbia, Maryland] The School was first authorized by the General Assembly at Frederick in 1867 and opened in 1868 (Chapter 247, Acts of 1867; Chapter 409, Acts of 1868). The first students lived and studied at the Frederick Town Barracks (known as the Hessian Barracks) before moving into the School's "Old Main" building in 1875. That structure remained until 1975 when new building construction began from 1975 to 1985 on the Frederick campus.


Denton Building, Columbia Campus, Maryland School for the Deaf, Columbia, Maryland, November 2004. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


A second campus of the Maryland School for the Deaf was authorized in 1968 and opened at Columbia in September 1973 (Chapter 462, Acts of 1968).

At the Frederick and Columbia campuses, the School implements the Maryland College and Career Ready Standards to align with national Common Core Standards leading to a Maryland State High School Diploma or a Certificate of Program Completion. In English and American Sign Language (ASL), the School teaches communications skills, including speech and speech reading, finger spelling, and listening skills for those who have acess to speech and language, with or without their hearing aids or cochlear implants. The School also offers a broad athletic and physical education program, as well as fine arts, theater, and career and technology education classes, and a variety of after-school social and recreational activities.

To each graduating senior, either the Maryland State High School Diploma or Certificate of Program Completion is awarded. Many graduates pursue higher education degrees. Vocational or technical training, and vocational rehabilitation services are available to help graduates secure employment.

BOARD OF TRUSTEES

The Board of Trustees of the Maryland School for the Deaf governs the School. With Senate advice and consent, the Governor appoints the Board's nineteen members to six-year terms. Each geographic region of the State is represented by at least one member of the Board, and at least six of the members are deaf (Code Education Article, sec. 8-304).

COLUMBIA CAMPUS

P. O. Box 894
8169 Old Montgomery Road & Route 108, Columbia, MD 21044 - 0894
[photo, Baker Building, Columbia Campus, Maryland School for the Deaf, Columbia, Maryland] Opened in September 1973, the Columbia Campus of the Maryland School for the Deaf enrolls deaf students, ages 3 through 16, in full-day programs for pre-school through eighth grade (Chapter 462, Acts of 1968). In addition, an early intervention program works with infants and young children and their families in language development and communications skills. Most students at the Columbia Campus commute daily but some participate in a weeknight residential program.


Baker Building, Columbia Campus, Maryland School for the Deaf, Columbia, Maryland, November 2004. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


FREDERICK CAMPUS

P. O. Box 250, 101 Clarke Place, Frederick, MD 21705 - 0250
[photo, Frederick Campus, Maryland School for the Deaf, Clarke Place, Frederick, Maryland] Established in 1868, the Frederick Campus of the Maryland School for the Deaf enrolls deaf and hard-of-hearing students, ages 3 through 21, in full-day programs for pre-school through twelfth grade (Chapter 247, Acts of 1867; Chapter 409, Acts of 1868). For infants, and young children and their families, the Campus also provides language development and communication skills.


Frederick Campus, Maryland School for the Deaf, Clarke Place, Frederick, Maryland, January 2006. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


[photo, Kent-McCanner Elementary School Building and Family Education Complex, Frederick Campus, Maryland School for the Deaf, Frederick, Maryland] At the Frederick campus, about thirty percent of enrolled students live on campus weeknights during the school year, which runs from late August through mid-June. Residential halls are staffed by residential child and youth care practitioners who supervise students and coordinate after-school programs, such as intramural games, field trips, swimming, and hiking. At The Underground, a recreation center, daily student get-togethers, parties, meetings, and other special events are held.

Kent-McCanner Elementary School Building & Family Education Complex, Frederick Campus, Maryland School for the Deaf, Frederick, Maryland, August 2018. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright August 20, 2018 Maryland State Archives