2) Commencement Address to the Morgan State College Graduating Class of 1958 delivered by Martin Luther King Jr. on June 2, 1958. Transcribed from the Baltimore Afro-American, Late City Edition, June 7, 1958, MSA SC 2221-12-39.
3) Martin Luther King, Jr. "Letter from Birmingham Jail." From Robert A. Goldwin, ed. On Civil Disobedience. (Chicago: Rand McNally & Co., 1973) pp. 61-71. Photograph from Taylor Branch, Parting the Waters (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1988) second photo insert, 60-62, MSA SC 2221-12-18.
4) George Calcott, Maryland & America 1940 to 1980 (Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1985), pp. 152-167, MSA SC 2221-12-1.
6) Materials from Criminal Court trial, November 10, 1960, from BALTIMORE CITY CIRCUIT COURT (Transcripts), 1913-1986, Transcript of Proceedings, State of Maryland vs. Robert M. Bell, et al., MSA T496-394, MSA SC 2221-12-24.
7) Newspaper accounts of the arrests of twelve students at Hooper's Restaurant, June 17, 1960, MSA SC 2221-12-21.
8) Materials relating to the appeal of State of Maryland vs. Robert M. Bell, et al., MSA SC 2221-12-25.
11) Materials from Supreme Court trial, Robert Mack Bell, et al., Petitioners v. State of Maryland, 378 US 226, from Records and Briefs of the Supreme Court and Transcripts of Oral Arguments, MSA SC 2221-12-23.
13) Maryland Public Accomodations Law, 1963, MSA S 966-976, MSA SC 2221-12-5.
15) Newspaper accounts of the resolution of State of Maryland vs. Robert M. Bell, et al., MSA SC 2221-12-29.
16) Peter Irons, The Courage of Their Convictions (New York: The Free Press, 1988), pp. 130-152, MSA SC 2221-12-2.
17) Civil Rights Act of 1964, MSA SC 2221-12-30.
18) Voting Rights Act of 1965, MSA SC 2221-12-22.
19) SPECIAL COLLECTIONS (Maryland State Archives Map Collection) Map of Cambridge, ca. 1960. Highways of Dorchester County, Maryland Department of Transportation. MSA SC 1427-215, MSA SC 2221-12-16.
20) A collation of transcripts of a speech given by H. Rap Brown on 24 July 1967 in Cambridge Maryland, by Lawrence Peskin and Dawn Almes, and a recording of part of the speech provided by Wayne E. Page, MSA SC 2221-12-8.
21) DORCHESTER COUNTY CIRCUIT COURT (Criminal Papers) #2116 Maryland vs. H. Rap Brown, September 1967, MSA T 2091. The Annotated Code of the Public General Laws of Maryland Horace E. Flack, ed., Vol 1, Sec. 7, Art. 27 (Baltimore: King Bros. Inc., 1952). ATTORNEY GENERAL (Criminal Investigation Papers) #1028, 1968, transcript of reports concerning H. Rap Brown's speech, MSA T 2094-1/3, MSA SC 2221-12-12.
22) Early newspaper accounts relating to the arrest of H. Rap Brown, MSA SC 2520, MSA SC 2221-12-35.
23) Excerpts from Die Nigger Die! by H. Rap Brown (New York: Dial Press, 1969), MSA SC 2221-12-13.
24) Excerpts from the Addresses and State Papers of Spiro T. Agnew (Annapolis: State of Maryland, 1975), MSA SC 2221-12-6.
25) GOVERNOR (General File) Materials relating to the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the Baltimore Riots, and Governor Spiro T. Agnew's address to African American leadership in Baltimore on April 11, 1968 including: government correspondence before and during the riots, transcript of Gov. Agnew's address, and letters from and to citizens of Baltimore and Maryland elected officials concerning Gov. Agnew's speech on April 11, MSA SC 2221-12-41.
27) ATTORNEY GENERAL (Criminal Investigation Papers) 1967-1973, MSA T 2094-1/3 MSA SC 2221-12-31.
28) Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, All the President's Men (New York: Warner Books Inc., 1974) title page and acknowledgements. MSA SC 2221-12-34.
29) Newspaper accounts relating to alleged fraudulent charges and dismissal of H. Rap Brown case, MSA SC 2221-12-32.
30) Howard Schneider. "Summer of Fire." Washington Post Magazine, July 26, 1992, MSA SC 2221-12-20.
33) Obituary for William Kunstler, September 5, 1995, MSA SC 2221-12-36.
34) Robert M. Bell as Maryland's Chief Judge, MSA SC 2221-12-37.
35) Peter L. Szanton. Baltimore 2000 A Choice of Futures. A Report to the Goldseker Foundation, 1986, MSA SC 2221-12-17.
37) Reflections on
the civil disturbances of April 1968, courtesy of WYPR radio, MSA
The Archives of Maryland Documents for the Classroom series of the Maryland State Archives was designed and developed by Dr. Edward C. Papenfuse and Dr. M. Mercer Neale and was prepared with the assistance of Archives staff. MSA SC 2221-12. Publication no. 2395. © 1993 Maryland State Archives, rev. April 2008.
For further inquiries, please contact Dr. Papenfuse at:
Phone: MD toll free 800-235-4045 or (410) 260-6401.