MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


[photo, Morris E. Soper Library, Morgan State University, Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore, Maryland] In 1867, Morgan State University originated as the Centenary Biblical Institute under the auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Classes for the Institute were held first at the Sharp Street Methodist Episcopal Church in Baltimore. In 1890, the Institute was renamed Morgan College in honor of Lyttleton F. Morgan, minister and first president of the Institute's board of trustees (Chapter 326, Acts of 1890). Dr. Morgan's financial support enabled the school to offer academic work at the college level. The College remained under church jurisdiction until purchased by the State in 1939 when it became Morgan State College (Chapter 331, Acts of 1939). In 1975, the College was granted university status (Chapter 550, Acts of 1975).

Morris E. Soper Library, Morgan State University, Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore, Maryland, August 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


[photo, Carnegie Hall, Morgan State University, Baltimore, Maryland]

Morgan State University is a public university in northeast Baltimore. It was named a National Treasure by the National Trust for Historic Preservation in May 2016.

The University includes the College of Liberal Arts, and the Schools of Architecture and Planning; Business and Management; Community Health and Policy; Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences; Education and Urban Studies; Engineering; Graduate Studies; and Social Work.

Carnegie Hall, Morgan State University, Baltimore, Maryland, August 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


With thirty departments, Morgan State University offers 36 baccalaureate-degree programs and 20 master-degree programs, as well as 9 programs leading to the doctorate. All academic programs are approved by the faculty (Code Education Article, secs. 14-101 through 14-308).


BOARD OF REGENTS

Morgan State University is governed by an independent Board of Regents. The Board's fifteen members are appointed by the Governor with Senate advice and consent. Fourteen members serve five-year terms; a student member serves a one-year term (Chapter 362, Acts of 2013; Code Education Article, secs. 14-102 through 14-104).

COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS

Holmes Hall, Suite 231, Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD 21251

The College of Liberal Arts started as the College of Arts and Sciences in 1975, and adopted its present name in July 1998.

The University's undergraduate program is built upon the liberal arts. Indeed, the College is the largest academic division at the University.

Within the College of Liberal Arts, Baccalaureate degrees are conferred in many disciplines. Undergraduate degree programs of the College include Economics, English, Fine Arts, History, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Telecommunications, and Theater Arts.

SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE & PLANNING

Center for Built Environment & Infrastructure Studies, 5299 Perring Parkway, Suite 104, Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD 21251

The study of architecture and planning at Morgan began as urban policy studies within the School of Urban Studies and Human Development. As the Department of Built Environment Studies, it reformed in the School of Education in 1979, and became the Institute of Architecture and Planning in 1991. The Institute was renamed the School of Architecture and Planning in 2008.

The School of Architecture and Planning offers three professional graduate programs: Architecture, City and Regional Planning, and Landscape Architecture. The program in architecture is the only accredited such program in the Baltimore region, and one of only two in Maryland.


EARL G. GRAVES SCHOOL OF BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT

[photo, George W. F. McMechen Commerce Building, Morgan State University, Baltimore, Maryland] McMechen Commerce Building, Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD 21251

The Graves School of Business and Management was named after Earl G. Graves, an alumnus, businessman, and publisher. The School offers courses through three main departments: Accounting and Finance; Business Administration; and Information Science and Systems.

Earl G. Graves School of Business and Management, George W. F. McMechen Commerce Building, Morgan State University, Baltimore, Maryland, August 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


SCHOOL OF COMMUNITY HEALTH & POLICY

4530 Portage Ave., Suite 302, Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD 21251

In 1999, the School of Community Health and Policy formed as the Public Health Program. The Program was reorganized as the School of Community Health and Policy in 2005.

The School offers three programs: Nursing, Nutritional Sciences, and Public Health.

SCHOOL OF COMPUTER, MATHEMATICAL & NATURAL SCIENCES

Richard N. Dixon Science Research Center, Suite 200, Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD 21251

Programs of the School of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences originated in the College of Arts and Sciences, and reorganized as the School of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences in 1998.

Within the School are five departments: Biology; Chemistry; Computer Science; Mathematics; and Physics and Engineering Physics. The School offers two professional programs: Actuarial Science, and Medical Technology.

SCHOOL OF EDUCATION & URBAN STUDIES

Banneker Hall, Room 301, Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD 21251

The School of Education is responsible for four departments: Advanced Studies, Leaderhip, and Policy; Family and Consumer Sciences; Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance; and Teacher Education and Professional Development.


CLARENCE M. MITCHELL, JR., SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING

[photo, Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr., Engineering Building, Morgan State University, Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore, Maryland] Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr., Engineering Building, 5200 Perring Parkway, Baltimore, MD 21251

In 1984, the School of Engineering started at Morgan.

The School has four departments: Civil Engineering; Electrical and Computer Engineering; Industrial and Systems Engineering; and Transportation and Urban Infrastructure Studies.

Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr., Engineering Building, Morgan State University, 1700 Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore, Maryland, August 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


SCHOOL OF GLOBAL JOURNALISM & COMMUNICATION

Communications Center, 4905 Perring Parkway, Baltimore, MD 21251

The School of Global Journalism and Communication formed in July 2013 from the Department of Communication Studies in the College of Liberal Arts.

Within the School are three departments: Multimedia Journalism; Multiplatform Production; and Strategic Communication.

SCHOOL OF GRADUATE STUDIES

McKeldin Center, Suite 310, Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD 21251

In 1964, the School of Graduate Studies organized as the Graduate School. In 1975, it reformed under its present name.

The School of Graduate Studies first offered advanced degrees in education in 1964. Since then, the scope of graduate studies has broadened to include a wide range of degrees in the arts and sciences, and professional fields.

Under the School are the Center for Continuing and Professional Studies, and the Institute for Urban Research.

SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK

Jenkins Behavioral Science Building, Room 343, Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD 21251

The School of Social Work began in 1969 as the Undergraduate Social Welfare Program in the Department of Sociology, College of Arts and Sciences. It became the Department of Social Work in 1975, and restructured as the School of Social Work in November 2009.

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright August 26, 2016 Maryland State Archives