clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
Matchett's Baltimore Director for 1835
Volume 493, Page 4   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space


personage Mr. John Flemming reside; for that becomes a most
important point of inquiry, in order that we may know the
chosen spot whereon our ancestors erected those unerring
ensigns, around which our ancient townsmen assembled,
built unto themselves homes, and laid the foundation of their
children's fortunes. Know then, that Mr. John Flemming
was a tenant of Mr Carroll, "and resided in a house, then
usually called a quarter, standing on the North Bank of Uhler's
Run, and near to the residence of the late General John Strick-
er in Charles street. By this act Baltimore was to, be a privi-
leged place of landing, loading, and selling and exchanging
goods. As this is a most important event in our history, we
shall name the gentlemen first appointed town commissioners:
they were Major Thomas Tolley, William Hamilton, William
Buckner, Dr. George Walker, Richard Gist, Dr. George Buch-
annan and Colonel William Hammond, whose appointment
was for life, with the power of filling their own vacancies.
The law authorized them to purchase the before mentioned
60, acres of land, being part of Cole's harbour or Todd's Range,
and to lay the same out in the most convenient manner into
60 lots, to be erected into a town to be called BALTIMORE
TOWN, in compliment to the proprietary, who was baron of
Baltimore, his title being derived from a sea-port of that name
in the county of Cork, Ireland. The first choice of a lot was
to be reserved to the owner of the land, and no one to be al-
lowed to take more than one lot for the first four months,
nor any but the inhabitants of the county for the first six
months, after which, untaken lots might be entered by any
one. The right acquired by the purchasers of these lots, was
in fee simple, on condition that they erected on their respec-
tive lots within eighteen months, a house that should cover
400 square feet; in default of which the right of proprietor-
ship reverted to the commissioners, who were empowered
to make a sub-sale on similar terms. In December of the
same year, the commissioners contracted with the Messrs
Carrolls for the land in question, on the following terms—they
were to pay 40 shillings for each of the 60 acres in money
or tobacco, at 1d per pound. One other condition of the sale
from the Messrs Carrolls to the commissioners was, that
such lots as were not taken up and improved within seven
years, were to revert back to them.

On the 13th of January 1730, the commissioners assisted by
M Philip Jones, the county Surveyor, land off the town,
"commencing at a point near the northwest intersection of
what are now called Pratt and Light sts. and running north-
west along or near Uhler's alley, towards the great eastern
road, and a great gulley or drain at or near Sharp street then
across Long, now Baltimore street, east of the gulley north-
easterly with the same road, afterwards called the Church
road, and now McClellan's alley, to the precipice which over-
hung the falls at or near the south-west corner of St. Paul
street and St. Paul's lane, therewith the bank of the stream
southwardly and eastwardly, various courses into the low
grounds ten perches west of Gay street, including the Fish


clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Matchett's Baltimore Director for 1835
Volume 493, Page 4   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  October 06, 2023
Maryland State Archives