WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY OF BALTIMORE.
The buildings of this Institution are situated on Hampstead
Hill, in the eastern section of the city, commanding an extensive
prospect over city and country, and the waters of the Patapsco
and Chesapeake Bay. The date of its charter is 1832, and of
its University privileges, 1839.
Medical Faculty.—J. H. Miller, M. D., Samuel K. Jennings,
M. D., J. C S. Monkur, M. D., H. W. Baxley, M. D., T. E,
Bond, M. D., D. M. Reese, M. D., W. R. Handy, M. D., and
E. Forman, M. D. Dean.
Connected with the Washington University of Baltimore is a
Hospital attended by the professors of the University, where a
portion of the Sailors of the U. S. Navy are sent ibr Medical
advice and attendance, by order of the Navy Department.
THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND.
The University of Maryland was incorporated in 1812. It is
managed by a Board of Regents, divided into four Faculties of
seven members each. The buildings for the use of the Medical
department are very pleasantly located, at the corner of Lom-
bard and Greene streets.
Faculty of Physic.—Nathaniel Potter, M. D., Richard Wilmot
Hall, M. D., Wm. E. A. Aikcn, M. D., Nathan R. Smith, M. D
Jos. Roby, M. D., G. W. Miltenberger, M. D.
De an of Faculty.—Samuel Chew, M. D.
Very pleasantly located on the high grounds in the eastern ex
tremity of the city, commanding an extensive view of the country
and overlooking the entire city, river and bay; can accommodate
over 100 patients—has, at present, about S0~. For several years
past it has been exclusively devoted to the benefit of the Insane.
It is under the management of a Board of Visitors appointed by
Mrs. S. A. Lewis, Matron; Wm. Fisher, M. D. physician and
superintendent; R. S. Stewart, M. D. President and Consulting
Connected with the Medical department of the University of
Maryland, whose proiessors are the physicians of the Institution
Here are generally some 50 or 60 patients, attended by the Sis
ters of Chanty. The building is located in Lombard street, wes