clear space clear space clear space white space
A
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
Maryland Manual, 1991-92
Volume 185, Page 572   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>
clear space clear space clear space white space

572/Maryland Manual

Development, the Council became an independent
agency in 1986 (Chapter 861, Acts of 1986).
The Council is an association of the local govern-
ments of Allegany, Garrett and Wishington coun-
ties. It serves as a regional planning and
development agency for the tri-county area. By
effectively using State aid, the Council fosters the
physical, economic and social development of
Western Maryland.
The Council receives planning assistance funds
from the federal Economic Development Ad-
ministration and the Appalachian Regional Com-
mission. In conformance with their program
guidelines, the Council uses planning assistance
funds for administrative expenses which directly
support the formulation and implementation of
economic development programs. These programs
are designed to create or retain full-time permanent
jobs and improve income characteristics, particular-
ly for the unemployed and underemployed in the
most distressed areas of the region. To facilitate
planning, the Council may prepare studies of the
region's resources; gather and analyze social and
economic data; and join with other government
agencies, educational institutions, and private or-
ganizations in coordinating research.
The Council's work program enhances the
quality of economic development activities in the
region and strengthens relationships among the
various local units of government.
The Council's program for direct business assis-
tance and enterprise development includes a Revolv-
ing Loan Fund program, Procurement and Export
Assistance, and Data Center Services. The program
for local government assistance focuses on grantsman-
ship and data base resource capabilities as well as
facilitating intergovernmental cooperation.
Annually the Council submits its proposed work
program and operating budget for the following
fiscal year to the Department of Housing and Com-
munity Development.
The Council is comprised of twenty-seven mem-
bers. Twenty-three are voting members and four are
nonvoting. From each county the Council has three
representatives of county government appointed by
the county commissioners, and one elected
municipal official chosen by the respective
municipal governments of the county. Also serving
on the Council are the county economic develop-
ment directors; three private sector representatives;
as well as House of Delegates members who repre-
sent Allegany Garrett and Washington counties;
and the two State Senators who reside in the tri-
county area (Code 1957, Art. 20A, sees. 1-101
through 3-102).

WASHINGTON SUBURBAN
SANITARY COMMISSION

Henry T. Arrington, Chairperson, 1991
Waymond D. Bray, Vke-Chaitferson, 1991

Ada Koonce Blumenschein, 1989; Robert M.
Potter, 1991; Gilbert B. Lessenco, 1991; Robert
P. Will, 1991.

Richard G. Hocevar, General Manager

4017 Hamilton St.
Hyattsville, MD 20781 699-4000
customer scrviLes: 699-5600
public affairs: 699-4172
24-hour emergency service: 699-4555

Engineering Department
8103 Sandy Spring Rd.
Laurel, MD 20707 441-4002

The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commis-
sion, the governing body of the Washington Sub-
urban Sanitary District, was created in 1918
(Chapter 122, Acts of 1918).
The Commission provides for the construction,
maintenance, and operation of water supply and
sewerage systems in Prince George's and
Montgomery counties and regulates and inspects
plumbing and gas-fitting installations in both coun-
ties. The Commission also administers, maintains,
and operates the Anacostia River Flood Control
and Navigation Project.
The two major sources of water supply for the
Commission system are the Patuxent River,
through the Patuxent Filtration Plant, and the
Potomac River, through the Potomac River Filtra-
tion Plant. Much of the sewage from the Commis-
sion service area is transported through trunk
sewers into the District of Columbia and is treated
at the regional Blue Plains Pollution Control Plant
in Washington, DC Sewage disposal plants
operated by the Commission are near Laurel, at
Piscataway Bay and at the western branch of the
Patuxent River. The Commission also operates
several smaller waste water plants.
Ten-^ear Witer and Sewer Plans for Montgomery
and Prince George's counties, formerly drafted by the
Wishington Suburban Sanitary Commission, are now
prepared by the respective county governments. The
Commission's annual budget is subject to joint ap-
proval by the governing bodies of the two counties.
The Commission sets customer rates for its suburban
Maryland service area.
Through its Public Affairs Office, the Commission
distributes information on all facets of its operation
free of charge. The Plumbing and Gas-Fitting Regula-
tions are available for a fee. An active speakers' bureau
also is managed by the Public Affairs Office.
The Commission consists of six members: three
from Montgomery County and three from Prince

 



 
clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Maryland Manual, 1991-92
Volume 185, Page 572   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>


This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!



An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact mdlegal@mdarchives.state.md.us.

©Copyright  August 02, 2018
Maryland State Archives