Culvert County Commissioners: Patrick M. Buehler;
Mary Krug; Hagner R. Mister; Michael J. Moore;
Joyce L. Terhes.
Charles County Commissioners: Robert I. Fuller;
Murray D. Levy; Thomas M. Middlcton; Nancy J.
Sefton; Dale E. Speakc.
St. Mary's County Commissioners: W. Edward Bailey;
Robert T. Jarboe; John G. Lancaster; Carl M.
Loffler, Jr.; Barbara R. Thompson.
Appointed by Southern Maryland Municipal
Association: Warren A. Bowie
Members at Large: F. EUiott Burch, Jr.; John T.
Parran, Jr.; John Whisman.
Nonpoting members: Matthew Gambrill, Wesley E.
Hughes, Jr., William E. Curtis (County Economic
Development Commissions); Edward M.
Blanchard, Maurice Lusby, Harry (Lanny)
Lancaster, Jr., (County Planning Commissions);
Ronald M. Kreitncr, Office of Planning; Richard
W. Davis, Dept. of Housing & Community
Gary V. Hodge, Executive Director
PO. Box 1634
Charlotte Hall, MD 20622 884-2144
DC area: 870-2520
The Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland
was formed on December 6,1964, as a cooperative
planning and development agency to foster the
economic and social development of the Southern
Maryland region comprising Calvert, Charles and
St. Mary's counties.
In 1965, the Governor recognized the Council
as the cooperative planning and development agen-
cy for Southern Maryland. The Council was estab-
lished by statute in 1966 (Chapter 586, Acts of
1966) and became a tax-exempt corporation in
1970 (Chapter 573, Acts of 1970). The Council's
enabling law was reenacted as State general legisla-
tion in 1976 (Chapter 708, Acts of 1976). In 1984,
the status of the Council as an independent agency
was confirmed (Chapter 373, Acts of 1984).
The Council brings together local. State and
federal resources to attain regional goals and ad-
dress areawidc issues. The Council is active in four
program areas: economic development; tourism
promotion; environmental protection; and
regional resource management, which includes is-
sues related to transportation, utilities, urban
growth and development, housing, and public
facilities and services. The Council, in 1979, was
empowered to recvaluate the General Develop-
ment Plan for Southern Maryland at least every four
years, following the election of State and local
officials (Chapter 36, Acts of 1979).
The Council has helped shape State policies and
programs to restore the Eatuxent River, and it also
cooperated with the Maryland Heritage Commit-
tee in the coordination and promotion of Mary-
land's 350th anniversary in 1984.
Annually the Council submits its proposed work
programs and operating budget for the following
fiscal year to the Department of Housing and Com-
The Council consists of thirty-five members.
Twenty-seven are voting members. They include
the State senators and members of the House of
Delegates representing Calvert, Charles and St.
Mary's counties; the county commissioners from
those counties; one member appointed by the
Southern Maryland Municipal Association; and
one member at large from each Southern Maryland
county The eight nonvoting members represent
each county planning commission and county
economic development commission of the
Southern Maryland counties; the Office of Plan-
ning; and the Department of Housing and Com-
munity Development (Code 1957, Art. 20).
TRI-COUNTY COUNCIL FOR
Ernest J. Gregg, Jr., Chairperson
Allegany County members: David Edgerley; Bernard
Loar; Harry Stern; John Stotler; two vacancies.
Garrett County members: Elwood L. Groves II;
Stephen Herman; Tom Jones; Walter Younkin;
Washington County members: Leroy Burtner;
William McLean, Sr.; Fred Papa; Gary Rohrer;
Steven Sager; one vacancy.
State Senators from Tri-County area: John J. Hater;
Donald F. Munson.
House of Delegates members representing Allegany,
Garrett and Washington counties: Peter G. Callas;
George C. Edwards; Kevin Kelly; D. Bruce Poole;
Casper R. Taylor, Jr.; Betty Workman.
Michael J. Wagoner, Director
72 Pershing St.
Cumberland, MD 21502 777-2158
Functions of the Tri-County Council for
Western Maryland originated with the formation of
the Governor's Council for Appalachian Maryland
in 1968. The Governor's Council was replaced in
1971, when the Tri-County Council for Western
Maryland was chartered as a nonprofit corporation
to serve Maryland's western counties of AUegany
Garrett, and Washington. Formerly under the
Department of Economic and Community