County Seat: Easton 21601
Origin: The form of the creation of this county
though not known was probably by virtue of an
order of the Governor in Council. The County
was in existence by February 18, 1661/62,
when a writ was issued to the sheriff.
Name: Named after Grace Talbot, sister of
Cecilius Calvert, Second Lord Baltimore.
Form of Government: Charter (1973)
County Code: See Charter and Code of Public
Local Laws of Talbot County, Maryland (1977)
Area: 326.32 sq. miles (258.62 land, 67.70 water)
Population. 1900: 30,342; 1950: 19,428; 1960:
21,578; 1970: 23,682; 1980: 25,604.
Principal Incorporated Places (1980 census):
Easton (7,536), St. Michaels (1,301), Oxford
(754), Trappe (739)
Voter Registration, Oct. 6, 1986. Democrat:
8,212; Republican: 5,563; Other Parties: 0; No
Party Affiliation: 873; Total: 14,648.
Per Capita Income, 1985 (estimated): $13,305
State Forests: Seth Demonstration (125 acres)
State Parks: Wye Oak (29 acres)
Museums/Historical Societies: Historical Society
of Talbot County, Inc., P.O. Box 964, Easton
21601; Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, St.
North Washington St.
Easton 21601 Circuit Court: 822-2611
District Court: 822-2750
Circuit Court—Grand Jury and Petit Jury, last
Monday in February and September.
Orphans' Court Days — Tuesdays, 11:00 a.m. -
12:00 noon, 2:00 - 3:30 p.m.
Circuit Court Resident Judge
John C. North II, 1999
Circuit Court Clerk
Mary Ann Shortall, 1990
District Court Judge
William H. Adkins III, 1994
Grace Achuff, Administrative Clerk; Jacqueline
Orphans' Court Judges
E. Frank Connolly, Chief Judge; Herman F.
Mieike; James E. Thomas. Terms expire 1990.
Register of Wills
Alice W. Anderson, 1990
John J. Ellerbusch, 1990
Phillip C. Foster, 1990
District Public Defender
C. Daniel Saunders
Easton 21601 Telephone: 822-2401
Meeting Days: Tuesdays, 1:30 p.m.
Herbert L. Andrew III, President.......... 1990
Clinton S. Bradley III.................... 1990
Nancy J. Clem .......................... 1990
Carlton N. Callahan ..................... 1990
Thomas G. Duncan ...................... 1990
Mary C. Foster, Clerk