In the 1950s, the Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism originated as the Department of Recreation and Parks. At that time, it worked with the City of Salisbury to improve City parks. By 1959, it constructed the Wicomico County Youth and Civic Center. The Department, in 1997, was restructured under its present name when divisons of recreation, parks, and tourism were joined with the operations of the Youth and Civic Center, an indoor stadium.

The Department is responsible for the organization and conduct of County public recreation and parks. It also oversees the organization and conduct of all public parks, playgrounds, and other recreational facilities (Code Local Government Article, secs. 1-601 through 1-611; County Code, secs. 70-1; 179-1 through 179-14).

The County began with three parks formed in the 1960s. The State's Program Open Space helped fund an expansion of the County parks in the 1970s in Delmar, Mardela Springs, Pittsville, Sharptown, and Willards. In the 1980s, Pemberton Historical Park was established.

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance

Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@maryland.gov

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright March 14, 2022 Maryland State Archives