Sasscer Administration Building, 14201 School Lane, Upper Marlboro, Maryland, October 2004. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
The Prince George's County Public School System is governed by the County Board of Education (Code Education Article, secs. 4-101 through 4-126). In addition, through the review and approval of the annual operating and capital budgets, Prince George's County government exercises authority over the County Public Schools. Moreover, through the establishment and monitoring of various financial and academic policies and regulations, the State Department of Education also has considerable oversight of county public schools. Indeed, under Maryland law, the State Department of Education works with county public schools to comply with requirements and mandates of federal law.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
From 1916 to 2013, the Superintendent of Schools administered the Prince George's County Public School System; however, effective April 9, 2013, the Chief Executive Officer assumed these responsibilities (Code Education Article, secs. 4-102; 4-202 through 4-206; Chapter 147, Acts of 2013).
From a list of three nominees recommended by the Search Committee, the County Executive selects the Chief Executive Officer. After contract terms have been negotiated, the Board of Education appoints the Chief Executive Officer to a four-year term (Code Education Article, sec. 4-201.1; Chapter 147, Acts of 2013).
The Board consists of eight members. Seven are appointed to five-year terms by the Governor with Senate advice and consent. A student member, elected by the College student body, serves a one-year term. The President of Prince George's Community College serves as secretary/treasurer to the Board (Code Education Article, sec. 16-414 through 16-417).
Upper Marlboro Branch Library, Prince George's County Memorial Library System, 14730 Main St., Upper Marlboro, Maryland, September 2000. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Hyattsville Branch Library. The first Library in the County to be built by the County, the Hyattsville Branch Library also holds the Library System's administrative offices.
Laurel Branch Library. The Stanley Memorial Library is the Laurel Branch Library. Opened in 1967, it was named after the family of Charles H. Stanley, who served as a member of the Laurel Board of Commissioners (1880-82), as Mayor of Laurel (1891-93), and as Comptroller of Maryland (1911-12).
Spauldings Branch Library. Located in District Heights, the Spauldings Branch Library also serves Capital Heights, Forestville, and Suitland. In 1947, it opened in the basement of the Presbyterian Church on Gateway Boulevard. At its present site on Old Silver Hill Road, it opened in 1987.
Upper Marlboro Branch Library. Library holdings are housed in the former Town Post Office (1931-90), which closed in 1990, and was renovated for use as the Library.
Appointed by the County Executive with County Council consent, the seven members of the Board of Library Trustees serve five-year terms (Code Education Article, secs. 23-401; 23-403 through 23-407; County Code, secs. 2-127 through 2-128.01).
Bowie Branch Library, Prince George's County Memorial Library System, 15210 Annapolis Road, Bowie, Maryland, September 2017. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov