Appointed by Governor: Rosalie S. Abrams; Brig. Gen. Edmund G. Beacham (Ret.); Clarence W. Blount; Charles S. Blumenthal; Brig. Gen. George M. Brooks (Ret.); Claude L. Callegary, Esq.; Mary A. Conroy; Brig. Gen. Benjamin F. Dean (Ret.); Brig. Gen. Bernard Feingold (Ret.); Lt. Gen. (MD) James F. Fretterd; Gerald A. Glaubitz; James A. Holechek; Edward T. Kreiner, Sr.; Donald M. McKee; Calvin E. Patton; Joseph I. Pines; William F. Surgi, Jr.; Maj. Gen. Maurice D. Tawes (Ret.); Col. Martin W. Walsh, Jr. (Ret.); Maj. Gen. Edwin Warfield III (Ret.); Fred L. Wineland; Edwin J. Wolf, Esq.
World War II Memorial, Annapolis, Maryland, 1999. Photo by James Hefelfinger (Hefelfinger Collection, MSA SC 1885-783-8, Maryland State Archives).
c/o Office of Secretary; Dept. of Veterans Affairs
Federal Building, Room 110, 31 Hopkins Plaza, Baltimore, MD 21201
(410) 216-6027; 1-800-446-4926 (toll free); fax: (410) 333-1071
World War II Memorial overlooking Severn River, Annapolis, Maryland, 1999. Photo by James Hefelfinger (Hefelfinger Collection, MSA SC 1885-783-2, Maryland State Archives).
The World War II Memorial Commission was authorized by statute in 1991 (Chapter 380, Acts of 1991) and reconstituted by the Governor in 1994 (Executive Order 01.01.1994.20). The Commission advised the Governor and General Assembly on the design, construction, and placement of a memorial or monument to those Marylanders who served in World War II (Code 1957, Art. 41, sec. 18-303). In August 1997, the Board of Public Works approved the construction contract for the Memorial. The groundbreaking ceremony for the $2.3 million monument was held on October 29, 1997.
The Memorial was built on Route 450 overlooking the Severn River in Annapolis. Designed by New York architect Secundino Fernandez, the Memorial consists of a rectangular amphitheater surrounded by columns and granite slabs inscribed with the names of 6,454 Marylanders who died in World War II. Stone panels and mosaic circles further depict Maryland's role in the War.
In September 1992, the Commission submitted a report to the Governor and General Assembly. Authorization for the Commission was extended to when the Memorial was dedicated on July 23, 1998 (Executive Order 01.01.1994.29), and formally rescinded in December 2008 (Executive Order 01.01.2008.19).
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov