HARRY HUGHES, Governor
(a) The President and the Speaker:
(1) jointly shall appoint a chairman and a vice
chairman of the Committee; or
(2) each shall appoint a cochairman of the Committee.
(b) Appointees serve at the pleasure of the appointing
The Committee shall meet at the times and places that it
(a) The Committee has the functions to SHALL:
(1) [propose, by joint resolution, rules of
legislative ethics] PERFORM ALL DUTIES ASSIGNED TO IT BY LAW OR
BY LEGISLATIVE RULES; and
(2) [set guidelines and procedures to carry out the
rules that are adopted] FROM TIME TO TIME, RECOMMEND TO THE
PRESIDING OFFICERS ANY CHANGES IN OR AMENDMENTS TO THE RULES OF
(b) A rule of legislative ethics may supplement but may not
be inconsistent with the provisions of Article 40A of the Code
that related to members of the General Assembly.
(c) A rule of legislative ethics is effective whether or
not the General Assembly is in session.
(a) The Committee has the function to issue[,]:
(1) on request of a member of the General Assembly,
an advisory opinion on the legislative ethics that relate to an
action taken or contemplated by any member; AND
(2) ON ITS OWN MOTION, ADVISORY OPINIONS AS IT DEEMS
(b)(1) The President and the Speaker may refer to the
Committee any matter that they consider appropriate.
(2) AT THE REQUEST OF THE PRESIDENT OR THE SPEAKER,
THE COMMITTEE SHALL MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS CONCERNING MATTERS
REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE.