CIVIL LIST 175
1. ROBERT JONES of Calvert County (——), appears as
"Deputy Surveyor General" in May, 1683; he died in office
prior to 10 April 1685.
2. CLEMENT HILL, SR., of St. Mary's County (Cath., brother-
in-law of Agent Henry Darnall), appointed " Examiner or Deputy
Surveyor General" to succeed Jones, 10 April 1685; resigned
when he was sworn to the Board of Deputy Governors, 28 Nov.
3. Maj. THOMAS TAYLOR of Dorchester County (Prot), ap-
pointed to succeed Hill, 5 March 1685/6; discharged because he
lived inconveniently far from St. Mary's, 7 May 1687.
4. *HENRY BRENT of Calvert County (Cath.), com. 7 May
1687; died in office, 24 Jan. 1693/4.
5. CLEMENT HILL, SR., again appointed Examiner on death of
Brent; apparently died in office about April, 1708, or else resigned
in favor of his nephews shortly before his death.
6. *EDWARD DIGGES of Charles County (Cath.) and his
brother-in-law *HENRY DARNALL II of Prince George's County
(Cath.), appointed jointly at or shortly before their uncle Hill's
death by their father, Agent Henry Darnall I, Digges for the
Eastern and Darnall for the Western Shore.
7. *HENRY DARNALL II, appointed sole Examiner General
pursuant to Baltimore's instructions to Carroll of 12 Sept. 1712;
probably obliged to resign because of his religion in 1716. He
died in 1737.
8. *BENNETT LOWE of St. Mary's County (Prot., mother and
sisters Cath.), succeeded Darnall prior to April, 1718.
9. *NICHOLAS LOWE of St. Mary's County (Prot., brother of
Bennett), entered office prior to 5 May 1720; resigned to be
Agent and Receiver General.
10. JOHN GRESHAM, SR., of Annapolis (Prot.), com. by Lt
Gov. Calvert, 21 Sept. 1722; died in office in December, 1723.
11. *JOHN Ross of Annapolis (Prot.), succeeded Gresham
December, 1723; resigned in 1732 after appointment to various
12. RICHARD FRANCIS of Anne Arundel County (Prot.), suc-
ceded Ross prior to June, 1732; removed to Philadelphia in