840 LAWS OF MARYLAND. [CH. 349
(1) "Retirement System" shall mean the State Police Re-
tirement System of the State of Maryland as denned in Sec-
tion 47 of this sub-title.
(2) "Department" shall mean the Department of Mary-
land State Police.
(3) "Employee" shall mean any officer or employee of the
Department of Maryland State Police other than the Super-
intendent of the Department of Maryland State Police, for
whom compensation is provided for by State appropriation,
or whose compensation is paid from State funds, and whether
paid on an annual, daily or hourly basis. It shall exclude
any person who is a member of or eligible to membership in
the Teachers' Retirement System of the State of Maryland
or the Employees' Retirement System of the State of Mary-
land or the Judges Retirement System and any class of em-
ployees whose compensation is only partly paid by the State
or who are serving on a temporary basis. In all cases of
doubt, the Board of Trustees, provided for in Section 51 of
this sub-title shall determine whether any person is an em-
ployee as defined in this sub-title, irrespective of the method
(4) "Member" shall mean any employee included in the
membership of the retirement system as provided in Section
48 of this sub-title.
(5) "Board of Trustees" shall mean the board provided
for in Section 51 of this sub-title to administer the retire-
(6) "Medical Board" shall mean the board of physicians
provided for in Section 51 of this sub-title.
(7) "Service" shall mean service as an employee paid for
by the State.
(8) "Prior service" shall mean service rendered prior to
the date of establishment of the retirement system, for which
credit is allowable under Section 49 of this sub-title.
(9) "Membership service" shall mean service as an em-
ployee rendered while a member of the retirement system.
(10) "Creditable service" shall mean prior service plus
membership service for which credit is allowable as provided
in Section 49 of this sub-title.
(11) "Beneficiary" shall mean any person in receipt of a
pension, an annuity, a retirement allowance, or other benefits
as provided by this sub-title.