clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
Baltimore Wholesale Business Directory and Business Circular for the Year 1845
Volume 528, Page 10   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space


Great difficulty arose, in consequence of the state of the currency; but out of
fifty-six debtors to British merchants, who paid their debts into the state trea-
sury in depreciated money, there were but four or five residents of Baltimore
town and county. In the latter part of this year, the ladies raised liberal con-
tributions in aid of the suffering soldiers.

In 1781, Fell's Prospect was laid off by the commissioners and added to the
town on the east, besides eighteen acres, lying between Bridge, now Gay, and
French streets. In September, Gen. Washington passed through Baltimore,
on his way to Yorktown; on which occasion the town was illuminated, and an
address presented in behalf of the citizens. On the march of La Fayette's
detachment for the south, they were so destitute that, on his arrival, he ob-
tained on his own credit from the merchants £2000, with which clothing was
purchased. The ladies were, as usual, active in the matter, and the detach-
ment were soon comfortably clad.

In 1782, Col. Howard annexed to the town all his grounds east of the street
named by him, " Eutaw." On Lexington street, he laid out a spacious lot for
a market, which was improved for that purpose in 1803. He also assigned a
large lot of ground on Baltimore street, west of Eutaw, for the use of the State,
should the Assembly make Baltimore the seat of government within twenty
years: but the proposition has been rejected by the Legislature, as often as
made. Up to this time, the streets were unpaved and consequently often im-
passable ; but commissioners were now appointed, to repair the bridges, and
grade, level, and pave the streets, beginning with Baltimore street. In No-
vember, were added to the town, Gist's Inspection and Timber Neck, lying
south of former additions and upon the middle branch; also the lands be-
tween Fell's Prospect and Harris's Creek. These were the last specific ad-
ditions by act of Assembly; and no change of consequence was made in the
limits for many years. A line of stage coaches was established this year be-
tween Baltimore and Philadelphia, which was afterwards extended to Alex-
andria. The town had, at this time, eight places of worship, and contained
about 8000 inhabitants.

The suspension of hostilities with Great Britain, was celebrated April 21st,
1783, and at night the town was illuminated. The manifestations of joy at
this period were doubly appropriate; as not only was the nation beginning a
new career of happiness and glory, but the town might also here date the com-
mencement of a progress in wealth and prosperity, scarcely paralleled in the
history of American cities. Many merchants from other States and from
Europe settled here; new wharves were built; streets were widened and ex-
tended ; and the establishment of a company to cut a canal on the Susque-
hanna, of the Potomac canal company, and, not many years after, of a company
to unite the Chesapeake and Delaware bays, gives indication of the commence-
ment of that policy which has been pursued up to the present time; having in
view the connection of the town by the cheapest and speediest modes of com-
munication with the principal regions of production and seats of trade, and
especially with the west. In the course of this year, regular lines of stage
coaches were established to Fredericktown and Annapolis.

In 1784, proposals were issued for establishing a Bank, and subscriptions
were obtained to a considerable amount, but the plan finally failed. A public
dinner was given to Gen. La Fayette in September, and at the same time he
and, his heirs male were declared by the Legislature, citizens of Maryland.
Provision was this year made for lighting the streets; three constables and
fourteen watchmen were appointed; and Major Yates was licensed as sole
auctioneer. After much disagreement in regard to a location, the Centre Mar-
ket was erected in Harrison street, on a space originally intended for a canal


clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Baltimore Wholesale Business Directory and Business Circular for the Year 1845
Volume 528, Page 10   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  October 10, 2023
Maryland State Archives