DEATH OF MRS. JAMES M. GREGORY
The death of Mrs. James M. Gregory in Baltimore on May 20 closed the
active career of a remarkable life, one rare in its combination of qualities. She
was a woman passionately devoted to her family and her home, yet just as devoted
and vigilant in all those matters and interests that affected the race.
She was born at Braddock Heights near Frederick, Md.; a member of the
Mohammitt family, well known in that section and in Baltimore. She attended
school at Howard University where she met and later married Prof. Gregory,
an instructor in Latin. After 25 years at Howard they went to Bordentown, N. J.,
where for 18 years they labored in laying the foundation and building up of the
State Manual Training and Industrial School. Here they helped shape the lives
of hundreds of young people just as they had in former years at Howard.
Shortly after Prof. Gregory's death in 1915, Mrs. Gregory took the training in
Y. W. C. A. work and was placed during the World War in charge of the hostess
house at Camp Alexander in Virginia and later at Camps Hill and Stewart.
Following the end of the war, Mrs. Gregory, despite advancing years, was
active in the welfare of her race. She spent most of the winters at the home of
her daughter in Baltimore, and thus it was that she again took up her residence
in the State where she was born and became very closely associated with a large
group of friends.