clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
THE FIRST COLORED Professional, Clerical and Business DIRECTORY OF BALTIMORE CITY 14th Annual Edition, 1927
Volume 504, Page 9   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space

Organized October 15, 1913, Md. Assn, for Colored Blind

Reorganized May 1, 1925, Assn, for the Handicapped



Baltimore, Md.

Phone Madison 8478

William H. Langley, President; George A. Owens, Vice-President; R.
Maurice Moss, Secretary; Harry O. Wilson, Treasurer; Prof. Francis M, Wood,
Ass't. Treas.; Robert W. Coleman, Manager; Linwood G. Koger, Attorney.

Executive Committee—Rev. Albert J. Greene, Chairman; Dr. James E. Bell,
W. Deaver Boston, Rev. George F. Bragg, Miss I. Myrtle Carden, Rev. Daniel W.
Hayes and Rev. Ernest Lyons.

History of the Organization

Prior to 1913 the colored people had taken no interest in their blind, the reason being that
no Negro up to that time had brought it to their attention. We feel it was a God-send that
Mr. Robert W. Coleman attended the work-shop for the blind, for he could better understand
conditions than a sighted man. As he had had experience as both sighted and blind, he
realized the unfortunate condition of the latter and felt it his duty to start this agita-

From 1911 to 1913 he held meeting after meeting in an effort to create enthusiasm for
the blind.

On October 15, 1913, at the residence of Mr. William H. Langley, he succeeded in organ-
izing the Maryland Association for Colored Blind. The original members of the board were:
William H. Langley. President; Harry O. Wilson, Treasurer; Mason A. Hawkins. Secretary,
and Robert W. Coleman, Organizer and Manager; Messrs. J. Clarence Chambers, G. Russell
Waller and Henry J. Thomas. Other early members of the board were Dr. J. O. Spencer. Dr.
Ernest Lyon and Dr. E. J. Wheatley.

In 1921, Rev. A. J. Green was selected as Chairman of the Executive Committee, which
position he has since served with honor.

The Maryland Assn, for Colored Blind was organized for the purpose of advancing moral,
social, religious and industrial development for colored blind: also to extend to them sym-
pathy and brotherhood.

Among the early activities of the Association were the following (1913-1923):

1. Public demonstration at Richmond Market Armory.

2. Securing medical attention for blind individuals.

3. Securing privilege for blind to sell Afro-American.

4. Securing, privilege for blind to attend Automobile Shop at Douglass High School,

5. Securing cooperation of the Y. M, C, A. for annual excursions, continuing until

6. Securing from Y. W. C. A. and Y. M. C. A. membership for the blind with-
out cost, upon application.

7. Presented check for $10. 00, first money received at a benefit at the Fourth
Regiment Armory June 17. 1920, to assist in paying for the instruments
of the Blind Band.

8. Appealed to Dr. Spencer to accept blind students at Morgan College.

There are two periods in the history of the Association, The first was that of agitation,
the other of construction. The latter began by a lecture with stereoptican views by Dr. E.
Tunstall Taylor at the First Baptist Church, on or about January 1. 1923.

Mrs. Putts and Dr. Cobb of the school board were invited to attend this meeting. Rev.
A. J. Green and Mr, R. W. Coleman publicly requested and insisted during the course of
the meeting that the school board make some provision for education and care of crippled
children. Subsequently the schools for crippled children were opened March 1, 1923,

Another constructive element was the visit to Overlea co observe the methods of teaching
and to note conditions of environment under which the students studied, lived and worked.

Following this was the Christmas treat at the Maryland Workshop for the Blind on
December 23, 1925.

Then followed the second annual social hour and party at Sharp Street Community House
on February 22. 1926.

The next three important features of construction were; First a letter to the press by
Dr. James A. Bell, "The Relation of Handicapped Individuals to Society. "

Second, a letter from Supervisor Francis M. Wood favoring the acceptance of blind students
in the Douglas High School, and the opening of classes for those students of defective speech.
Also the opening: of a class in the Teachers' Training School for the training of teachers for
handicapped children.

Third, which we deem probably most important in public agitation and construction was a
mass meeting held on May 16, 1926, at the Royal -Theatre, at which time all the handicapped
and social agencies regardless of creed or color were asked to cooperate. This was done to
bring before the public their responsible duty to humanity. Rev. Ernest Lyons was the effi-
cient chairman and Dr. Steindler of Fort McHenry delivered an excellent paper.

Later, the unanimous consent was received by the organization from the Board of Governors
of the Children's Hospital School, Greenspring Avenue and 41st Street, to erect a colored annex
onto the present building.

The Association has been instrumental in raising a fund for the education of the handicapped.



clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
THE FIRST COLORED Professional, Clerical and Business DIRECTORY OF BALTIMORE CITY 14th Annual Edition, 1927
Volume 504, Page 9   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  October 10, 2023
Maryland State Archives