ARCHIVIST OF THE HALL OF RECORDS 27
Other routine, but very important, transfers were the Correspond-
ence Files of Governor J. Millard Tawes for the biennium 1961-1962
and the Engrossed Laws of 1964, including the special sessions of
March 11 and November 6.
It will be observed that practically all of the church records added
to our collection last year were from churches located in the Western
Maryland area. This was largely due to the initiative of our photog-
rapher, Mr. Ronald Saddler, who, in his spare time, contacted a num-
ber of ministers while he was in this area filming the county records.
Compared to some of the church records previously received, these are
not very old. But most of them do predate the turn of the century.
Because official birth records are incomplete for this period, church
records have become very important to persons seeking proof of birth
in order to establish claim to Social Security benefits.
Several interesting manuscript items were acquired last year by
virtue of the fact that Mr. J. Reaney Kelly (long a friend of the Hall
of Records) was doing research for an article on the history of "Tulip
Hill", the well-known Georgian mansion built in 1756 by Samuel
Galloway. Mr. Kelly arranged with the owners of several items relating
to the mansion and to the Galloway family to deposit their materials
temporarily at the Hall of Records where it was more convenient for
him to use them. In each case he obtained permission for us to make
microfilm copies and urged that the deposit be made permanent.
Samuel Galloway's Ledger, 1748-1758, which was deposited by
Miss Adelaide Colhoun, records the purchase of the brick and other
materials used in constructing "Tulip Hill". Miss Colhoun also de-
posited the Galloway Papers, which are practically all letters written
by John Galloway from 1782 to 1789 to his brother-in-law, James
Cheston, then residing at "Tulip Hill".
The Selim Stud Book, 1763-1772 was loaned for Mr. Kelly's
use by Mr. Henry M. Murray, who has since decided to leave the book
here on deposit. "Selim", owned by Samuel Galloway, was foaled in
1759 and did most of his racing between 1766 and 1772. He has
been described as "the best horse of his time".
As indicated below, the Rivinus Collection is composed mainly
of letters relating to various members of the Galloway family and to
Virgil Maxcy, George Hughes and Frank Markoe, all in one way or
another related to the family. A newspaper clipping in the Collection
describes how in 1844, when he had just returned from serving as