WILLIAM DONALD SCHAEFER, Governor
(2) To promote a climate of public awareness and understanding of both
the barriers to employment faced by [disabled persons] PEOPLE WITH
DISABILITIES and the laws ensuring equal opportunity to this employment; and
(3) To promote a better understanding among [handicapped persons]
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES of opportunities available for habilitation and
rehabilitation in order that more and more will have marketable job skills.
J. The functions of the Committee shall be to:
(1) Plan and carry out year-round education programs designed to
promote a climate of public awareness and understanding of the attitudinal,
architectural, educational housing, transportation, and other barriers to
employment and life quality faced by [the disabled] PEOPLE WITH
(2) Stimulate state and local community interest by securing the active
cooperation and participation of such "public" entities as business and industry,
labor, government, educators, public and private agencies serving [the disabled]
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES, consumers, consumer advocates and civic
(3) Plan and carry out/or participate in special events and programs
designed to highlight abilities of qualified [disabled persons] PEOPLE WITH
DISABILITIES and programs to facilitate employment of such persons;
(4) Encourage and facilitate the development and functioning of local
committees on employment of [the handicapped] PEOPLE WITH
(5) Coordinate with and participate in activities of other public and private
(6) Cooperate with the President's Committee on Employment of [the
Handicapped] PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES in programs and activities
initiated at the national level.
K. The Governor's Committee on Employment of [the Handicapped] PEOPLE
WITH DISABILITIES shall promulgate and adopt a set of By-Laws and
operating procedures that are consistent with the intent of this Executive Order
and these By-Laws shall be on file in the Governor's Appointment Office.
L. This executive order is effective immediately.
- 3507 -