clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
Maryland Manual, 1996-97
Volume 187, Page 520   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space

James M Beatty, Sr , Chief

The Maryland Port Administration Police Force
was authorized in 1976 (Chapter 468, Acts of
1976) The Force has all powers granted to Mary-
land peace officers and police officers The Force
protects life, limb, and property on properties
owned, leased, operated bv, or under the control of
the Maryland Port Administration

M Kathleen Broadwater, Director
(410) 385 4438

Planning and Business Development formed in
1995 This division is responsible for Capital Plan
mng. Harbor Development, Market Planning,
Public Involvement, and Strategic Planning


Chair David L Winstead, Secretary
of Transportation
Stephen L Reich, 'Executive Secretary

303 Authority Drive (410) 288 8410
Dundalk, MD 21222—2200 TTY (410) 355 7024

The Maryland Transportation Authority gov
crns and sets policy for the State's toll roads,
bridges, and tunnels (Code Transportation Article,
sees 4-201 through 4 404) The Authority was
created in 1970 (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970)
The Transportation Authority operates and main-
tains four toll bridges, the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel,
the Fort McHenry Tunnel, and the John F Kennedy
Memorial Highway These faculties were constructed
with proceeds from the sale of revenue bonds and
from toll revenues They are operated and maintained
solel\ through tolls charged to users
The Authority consists of the Secretary ofTrans
portation as chair and six members appointed for
three-year terms by the Governor with Senate ad
vice and consent (Code Transportation Article,
sees 4 101 through 4 404)
Administrative, engineering and finance opera-
tions of the Authority center at the Francis Scott
Key Bridge, Baltimore's outer harbor crossing

Janet L Davis, Director
(410) 288 8420

Created in 1995, Operations oversees all
bridges, tunnels, and turnpikes under the jurisdic-
tion of the Maryland Transportation Authority

This oversight includes administrative functions,
law enforcement, and services to users Formerly,
bridges, tunnels, and turnpikes each had been ad
ministered separately Now, the work of the Author
ify is administered by regions Each regional
administration is responsible tor traffic control and
the collection, disposition, and safeguarding of
tolls Each ensures that roads, structures, facilities,
and approaches are maintained Along the John F
Kennedy Memorial Highway, the regional admini-
stration also oversees the operation of service pla-
zas, and their restaurants and service stations

Timothy J Rpilly, Administrator
(410) 354 8664

Baltimore Harbor Tunnel and its eighteen mile
thruway opened to traffic on November 30, 1957
Designated Interstate 895, the Tunnel provides a
major north south bypass of Baltimore City
Fort McHenry TunnelIs the world's only eight
lane underwater tunnel for vehicular traffic It is
located just south of Fort McHenry between Lo
cust Point and Canton, crossing Baltimore's harbor
under the Patapsco River As part of Interstate 95,
the Tunnel links the southern and eastern areas of
Baltimore City The Tunnel opened to traffic on
November 24, 1985
Francis Scott Key Bridge was opened to traffic in
March of 1977 and connects Sellers Point in Balti-
more County with Hawkins Point in Baltimore
City It also is the final link in the 52 mile Baltimore
Beltway (Interstate 695)

John E (Jack) Krummel, Administrator

Thomas J Hatem Memorial Bridge, formerly the
Susquehanna River Toll Bridge, spans the
Susquehanna River from a point near Perryville,
Cecil County, to a point near Havre de Grace,
Harford County Opened to traffic on August
28, 1940, the Bridge is 1 4 miles long In 1986,
the Bridge was renamed for Thomas J Hatem
(1925-1985) who represented Hartord County
in the House of Delegates from 1955 to 1958
John F Kennedy Memorial Highway, formerly
Northeastern Expressway, was constructed with
revenue bond proceeds authorized in 1956
(Chapter l,Acts of the Special Session of 1956)
This toll road, a part of Interstate 95, opened to
traffic on November 14, 1963 Its fifty miles
extend from Delaware south to the northern
limits of Baltimore City Administrative offices of
the Kennedy Memorial Highway are located at
the Perryville Plaza Barrier, where tolls for
through traffic are collected



clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Maryland Manual, 1996-97
Volume 187, Page 520   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  October 06, 2023
Maryland State Archives