478 /Department of Transportation
MARYLAND PORT COMMISSION
Chairperson: O. James Lighthizer, Secretary of
The Maryland Port Commission was formed in
1988 (Chapter 541, Acts of 1988). The Commission
oversees the Maryland Port Administration. By devis-
ing flexible procedures, particularly for personnel and
procurement, the Commission works to give the Port
of Baltimore the competitive edge in maritime trade.
The Commission is composed of seven members.
Six are appointed to three-year terms by the Governor
with Senate advice and consent. The Secretary of
Transportation serves as chairperson (Code Transpor-
tation Article, secs. 6-201 through 6-204).
Adrian G. Teel, Executive Director
Michael P. Angelos, Deputy Executive Director
World Trade Center
401 East Pratt St.
Baltimore, MD 21202 (410) 385-4400
The Maryland Port Administration originated in
1956 as the Maryland Port Authority (Chapter 2, Acts
of Special Session of 1956). The Authority became the
Maryland Port Administration in 1970 (Chapter 526,
Acts of 1970). The Administration was made part of
the Department of Transportation in 1971.
The Administration works to promote and in-
crease waterborne commerce in Maryland and par-
ticularly at the Port of Baltimore. It improves
facilities and strengthens the workings of the private
operator. If private facilities are inadequate, the
Authority may construct and, if necessary, operate
supplementary public facilities (Code Transporta-
tion Article, secs. 6-101 through 6-502). In 1979,
operation of the port of Cambridge was placed
under the control of the Administration (Chapter
280, Acts of 1979).
The Administration operates field offices in New
York, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Chicago, and is
represented in London, Brussels, Haifa, Tokyo, and
Hong Kong. The Administration also owns and
operates the World Trade Center—Baltimore.
Morgan C. Bailey, Sr., Director
Through a network of regional and international
offices, the Marketing Department promotes the
movement of waterborne commerce through
Maryland's marine terminals, thereby creating reve-
nues and employment and improving the State's
Maryland Manual 1994-1995
James J. White, Director
The Operations Department was reorganized in
1993 as Operational Services. This office works to
provide safe and efficient marine terminals for han-
dling waterborne commerce at Seagirt, Dundalk,
North and South Locust Point, the Intermodal
Container Transfer Facility, Clinton Street terminal,
Fairfield Automobile terminal, and Cambridge ma-
rine terminal on the Eastern Shore.
MARYLAND INTERNATIONAL TERMINALS
Michael P. Angelos, President
Maryland International Terminals, a nonprofit
subsidiary of the Maryland Port Administration,
was created in 1990 to give the Administration a
direct role in labor negotiations and in operating
public port facilities.
Stephen M. Feller, Director
In 1993, the Administration and Business Man-
agement Department was renamed Administration.
This office is responsible for the Port Administra-
tion's personnel system, training and education, fair
employment practices, and office support services.
It also oversees governmental affairs, Port Commis-
sion staffing, and certain business law practices.
G. Gregory Russell, Director
The Finance Department in 1993 was reorgan-
ized as Financial Services. This office directs finan-
cial affairs and management information systems of
the Port Administration, including accounting,
budget, procurement, and real estate leasing.
MARYLAND PORT ADMINISTRATION
Harold A. Gonzales, Acting Commander
The Maryland Port Administration Police Force
was authorized in 1976 (Chapter 468, Acts of
1976). MPA police officers have all powers granted
to Maryland peace officers and police officers. They
protect life, limb, and property on properties
owned, leased, operated by, or under the control of
the Maryland Port Administration.