Talbert Shaw, Ph.D., Dean of the College of Arts
Homer E. Favor, Ph.D., Dean, School of Urban
Studies and Human Development
Broadus E. Sawyer, Ph.D., Dean, School of Busi-
ness and Management
Vergial Webb, Ed.D., Acting Dean, School of Ed-
Beryl W. Williams, M.A„ Dean, Center for Con-
Houston L. Stansbury, M.A„ Director, Records
Stewart A. Brooks, M.Ed., Assistant to the Presi-
Hillen Road at Cold Spring Lane
Baltimore 21239 Telephone: 444-3200
Morgan State College was organized in 1867
under the auspices of the Methodist Episcopal
Church as the Centenary Biblical Institute. In
1890 the school's name was changed to Morgan
College in honor of Dr. Lyttleton Morgan, whose
gift of a large sum of money enabled the school
to offer academic work at the college level. The
school remained under church jurisdiction until
the State of Maryland purchased it in 1939,
By Chapter 550, Acts of 1975, Morgan State
was granted university status. A public university,
Morgan now includes the Schools of Business
and Management, Urban Studies and Human De-
velopment, Education, Graduate Studies, and a
College of Arts and Sciences.
The University is governed by a Board of
Trustees consisting of twelve members appointed
by the Governor for six-year terms. By Chapter
538, Acts of 1976, a student in good standing at
the University is appointed a member of the
Board for a one-year term.
The University is fully accredited by the Mid-
dle States Association of Colleges and Secondary
Schools and the State Department of Education.
It is also approved by the Regents of the Univer-
sity of the State of New York, the American
Chemical Society, the American Medical Associa-
tion, and the Maryland State Board of Public Ac-
The University, which consists of twenty-two
departments, offers twenty-eight baccalaureate
• Independent Agencies/315
and twenty master's degree programs. The facul-
ty, which approves of all academic programs,
consists of sixty-seven full professors, sixty-eight
associate professors, eighty-seven assistant
professors, and fifty-three instructors.
During the academic year 1977-1978, 6,091
students were enrolled at Morgan. Of these, 4,487
were full-time students and 1,604 were part-time
students (Code Education Article, sees. 13-201
MARYLAND POTOMAC WATER
Chairperson: James R. Worsley, Jr.
Ex officio members: James B. Coulter, Secretary,
Department of Natural Resources; Constance
Lieder, Secretary, Department of State Planning;
Robert S. McGarry, General Manager, Wash-
ington Suburban Sanitary Commission.
Appointed members: Arthur T. Bond, member,
and John J. Coyle, alternate, Allegany County
Board of County Commissioners; Charles C.
Smith, member, and Adrian McC. Rernsburg,
alternate, Frederick County Board of County
Commissioners; Truman E. Paugh, member, and
H. Lester Hunter, alternate, Garrett County
Board of County Commissioners; Neil Potter,
member, and Elizabeth L. Scull, alternate,
Montgomery County Council; Francis B.
Francois, member, and William B. Amonett,
alternate, Prince George's County Council; R.
Lee Downey, member, and Charles F.
Wagaman, Jr., alternate, Washington County
Board of County Commissioners.
Water Resources Administration
Tawes State Office Building
Annapolis 21401 Telephone: 269-3846
The Maryland Potomac Water Authority, creat-
ed by Chapter 411, Acts of 1969, consists of ten
members of whom the Secretary of Natural
Resources, the Secretary of State Planning, and the
General Manager of the Washington Suburban
Sanitary District are ex officio and non-voting
members. The governing bodies of each of the rep-
resented counties within the Authority's jurisdic-
tion, namely Allegany, Frederick, Garrett, Mont-
gomery, Prince George's, and Washington counties,
appoint one of its members to serve on the Authori-
ty. An additional member serves as an alternate. All
members may vote except the Garrett County
member until such time as Garrett County is
assessed for payments to the Authority. The Gover-