clear space clear space clear space white space
A
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
Maryland Manual, 1979-80
Volume 179, Page 127   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>
clear space clear space clear space white space

OFFICERS OF THE COMMISSION
Federal Co-Chairperson: Robert W. Scott

States' Regional Representative: Leonard E.
Schwartz

Executive Director: Henry Krevor

1666 Connecticut Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20235 Tel.: (202) 673-7874

By Chapter 415, Acts of 1965, the Governor
and the Board of Public Works were authorized
to appoint a State member and an alternate to
the Appalachian Regional Commission to imple-
ment the Federal Appalachian Regional Develop-
ment Act of 1965. Commission membership, in
addition, includes a regional representative select-
ed by the majority of the thirteen Appalachian
states (Code 1957, Art. 78A, sec. 13A).

The Commission was created by the Appala-
chian Regional Development Act of 1965 (P.L.
89-4) to plan and coordinate projects and
programs authorized by the Act for the develop-
ment of the thirteen State Appalachian Region,
which includes the Western Maryland counties of
Washington, Allegany, and Garrett. The Com-
mission consists of a Federal Co-Chairperson
appointed by the President and one member from
each participating state who must be the Gover-
nor or his alternate. A State Co-Chairperson is
elected annually by the Governors.

Programs for Appalachian development autho-
rized. by the Act include the construction of a de-
velopmental highway system, access roads, health
centers, vocational educational schools, and sew-
age treatment works; the development of land,
timber, and water resources; the rehabilitation of
areas damaged by strip and surface mining; and
the establishment of local development districts
to support economic development efforts at the
local level. "The Act provides authority for the
Appalachian Regional Developmental Highway
System, a network of 2,700 miles of development
highways and 1,600 miles of access roads. The
Maryland portion of the highway system consists
of 79.8 miles. Non-highway funds authorized for
the 1978 Fiscal Year amounted to $113,000,000.

The Commission is not an operating agency.
Its major function is the planning and coordina-
tion of programs and projects to be carried out
under the Act by the appropriate federal and
State departments and agencies. The Commission
can act only on those programs and projects that
are submitted to it by State members. Its

decisions require the affirmative vote of the Fed-
eral Co-Chairperson and of a majority of State
members (Code 1957, Art. 78A, sec. 13).

MARYLAND INDUSTRIAL
DEVELOPMENT FINANCING
AUTHORITY (MIDFA)

Chairpenon: Nicholas F. Mudler, 1980
Vice-Chairperson:^. S. Mailman, 1981

Ex officio members: vacancy. Secretary of Eco-
nomic and Community Development; William S.
James, State Treasurer

Appointed members: Carl M. Freeman, 1979;
Austin E. Penn, 1982; James C. Johnson, 1983

Oliver H. Fulton, Executive Director and Secretary

John G. Fitzpatrick, Associate Director and Assis-
tant Secretary

Kenneth B. Frank, Assistant Attorney General—
Counsel

The World Trade Center
401 E. Pratt Street, Suite 2244
Baltimore 21202 Telephone: 383-4348

The Maryland Industrial Development Financ-
ing Authority was created by Chapter 714, Acts
of 1965. The Authority consists of five members
appointed by the Secretary of Economic and
Community Development with the approval of
the Governor, the Secretary of Economic and
Community Development or his designee, and ei-
ther the State Treasurer or Comptroller of the
Treasury (as chosen by the Governor), the latter
two serving as ex officio members. The Authority
elects its own officers and appoints the Executive
Director, who also serves as the Secretary.

MIDFA encourages economic growth within the
State by approving and insuring industrial mort-
gage loans meeting certain conditions. This
provides Maryland counties and municipalities
with a financing tool to make them competitive with
surrounding states in attracting new industry with-
out direct subsidy or pledge of faith or credit by ei-
ther the State or local government, except to the ex-
tent that the State has provided a reserve fund of
approximately $17,000,000 to support MIDFA in-
surance of loans. The fund (called the Industrial
Project Mortgage Insurance Fund) is comprised of
the proceeds of bonds issued by the State together
with insurance premiums and other income.



 
clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Maryland Manual, 1979-80
Volume 179, Page 127   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>


This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!



An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact mdlegal@mdarchives.state.md.us.

©Copyright  August 02, 2018
Maryland State Archives