MARYLAND & THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF MARYLAND

UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY COURT


[photo, Garmatz Federal Courthouse (view from West Pratt St.), 101 West Lombard St., Baltimore, Maryland]
  • Judges, Northern Division
  • Judges, Southern Division

  • Former Judges
  • Garmatz Federal Courthouse (view from West Pratt St.), 101 West Lombard St., Baltimore, Maryland, April 2001. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.

    NORTHERN DIVISION
    Appointed by U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit to 14-year terms:
    Nancy V. Alquist, Chief Judge (chosen by U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland), 2018

    SOUTHERN DIVISION

    The United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland is part of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. With separate clerks' offices and court dockets, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court administers debtors' estates and hears petitions of debtors seeking relief from bankruptcy.

    Although Congress enacted emergency bankruptcy laws in 1800, 1841, and 1867, the National Bankruptcy Act of 1898 was the first comprehensive statute and governed bankruptcy cases for almost 80 years. Under the act, the U.S. District Court appointed "referees in bankruptcy" to handle these cases. The federal Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1978 established independent bankruptcy courts and judges, a move declared unconstitutional in 1982 by the U.S. Supreme Court. The Bankruptcy Amendments and Federal Judgeship Act of 1984 (P. L. 98-353) remedied the jurisdictional problems of the 1978 act by designating bankruptcy courts as units of the federal district courts.

    For Maryland, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit now appoints seven bankruptcy judges to fourteen-year terms. The federal Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 increased the number of judges from four to seven. The judges of the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland name the Chief Judge of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court. The bankruptcy judges appoint the bankruptcy clerk.

    The Southern Division formerly was in Hyattsville. It relocated to a private office building on Hungerford Drive in Rockville on August 3, 1981. The Division moved to the new U.S. Courthouse at Greenbelt on October 3, 1994.

    Maryland Government
    Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
    Maryland Departments
    Maryland Independent Agencies
    Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
    Maryland Universities & Colleges
    Maryland Counties
    Maryland Municipalities
    Maryland at a Glance


    Maryland Manual On-Line

    Search the Manual
    e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


    This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


    Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


    [ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
    ||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

    Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

    Copyright August 11, 2017 Maryland State Archives