UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, COLLEGE PARK

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


[photo, College of Information Studies, Hornbake Library, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland] In 1856, the University of Maryland, College Park, began as the Maryland Agricultural College and achieved status as a land-grant college in 1865. It was renamed the Maryland State College of Agriculture in 1916 (Chapter 372, Acts of 1916). The College merged in 1920 with the Baltimore professional schools to form the University of Maryland with campuses at Baltimore (UMAB) and College Park (UMCP) (Chapter 480, Acts of 1920). The University of Maryland was designated a national sea grant college in 1983.

College of Information Studies, R. Lee Hornbake Library, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, August 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


The College Park campus became part of the University of Maryland System when it was created in 1988 (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). In 1997, when the System was renamed the University System of Maryland, the University was styled University of Maryland, College Park (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).

At the University of Maryland, College Park, instruction in almost every discipline is offered. The College Park campus holds seven colleges: Agriculture and Natural Resources; Arts and Humanities; Behavioral and Social Sciences; Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences; Education; Information Studies; and Journalism. It also includes the Schools of Architecture; Business; Engineering; Public Health; and Public Affairs.

Among many other research and public service units on campus are the Center on Aging, Institute for Applied Agriculture, Engineering Research Center, Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute, Survey Research Center, Institute for Governmental Research, Transportation Technology Center, Urban Studies and Planning Program, and Water Resources Research Center.

MARYLAND FIRE & RESCUE INSTITUTE
4500 Campus Drive, College Park, MD 20742

The Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute is the State's comprehensive training and education system for emergency services. The Institute plans, researches, develops, and provides programs to help emergency service providers protect life, the environment, and property. These involve fire protection, emergency medical services, rescue, leadership, and training.

As of July 1, 2016, the College Park street address (Paint Branch Parkway) of the Institute was renamed Campus Drive.


ACADEMIC AFFAIRS

INSTITUTE FOR BIOSCIENCE & BIOTECHNOLOGY RESEARCH
Plant Sciences Building, Room 5115, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742 - 4450
9600 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville, MD 20850

As the Center for Agricultural Biotechnology, the Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology Research originated in 1987 under the University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute. The Center was renamed the Center for Biosystems Research in 2002. It joined with the Center for Advanced Research in Biotechnology at the University of Maryland, College Park in July 2010 as the Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology Research.

The Institute studies molecular biology and bioprocess development relating to problems in agriculture, industry, and the environment. Researchers concentrate on plant and animal protection, particularly of plant-pathogen interactions, poultry virus and vaccine production, insect genetic engineering, and biochemical engineering. Research programs integrate molecular genetics and biochemical engineering methods to study gene expression.

To carry out its studies, the Institute cooperates with scientists at the University of Maryland Engineering Research Center and the National Agricultural Research Center, including the Molecular Plant Pathology Laboratory, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

DIVISION OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Computer & Space Sciences Building, Room 4401, College Park, MD 20742 - 2411

Formerly the Office of Information Technology, the Division of Information Technology organized in 2012.

INSTITUTE FOR GOVERNMENTAL SERVICE
4611 Knox Road, Suite 205, College Park, MD 20742

The Institute for Governmental Service was created jointly in 1959 by the University of Maryland and the Maryland Municipal League. Then called the Maryland Technical Advisory Service, it focused on municipal government services. By 1965, it came to include county and State government matters. The Service was renamed the Institute for Governmental Service in 1981 to reflect this increased scope of its work.

The Institute provides technical assistance, consulting, and applied research to governments and nonprofit organizations in Maryland. Formerly under the Maryland Cooperative Extension, the Institute transferred to Research and Graduate Studies in July 1997.

COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE & NATURAL RESOURCES


[photo, Animal Sciences and Agricultural Engineering Building, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland] 1104 Symons Hall, University of Maryland, College Park
College Park, MD 20742 - 5565

Origins of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources date to 1856 when the University of Maryland, College Park started as the Maryland Agricultural College. In 1916, it was renamed the Maryland State College of Agriculture. With the formation of the University of Maryland in 1920, it became the College of Agriculture. In 1995, it reformed under its present name. Under the College, the Agricultural Experiment Station and the Maryland Cooperative Extension are centered at College Park.

Animal Sciences & Agricultural Engineering Building, College of Agriculture & Natural Resources, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, August 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION
1201 Symons Hall, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742

The Maryland Agricultural Experiment Station was established in 1888 following passage of the federal Hatch Act in 1887. The Act made grants-in-aid available to the states for agricultural research. Now, both State and federal funds support this work, as well as research in food science, nutrition, aquaculture, rural sociology, and natural resources.

Within the University of Maryland System, the Agricultural Experiment Station was placed under the Maryland Institute for Agriculture and Natural Resources in 1990. When the Institute was abolished in 1993, the Station transferred to the College of Agriculture of the University of Maryland, College Park, reuniting the College with its traditional constituent parts, the Agricultural Experiment Station and the Cooperative Extension Service.

At College Park, the Agricultural Experiment Station has laboratories for research in the animal and plant sciences, agricultural engineering, agricultural and resource economics, rural sociology, human ecology, and social sciences. Station scientists and graduate students conduct research at three University of Maryland College Park colleges, the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, and other institutions within the University System of Maryland. The Station also conducts field research at eleven off-campus sites. They are organized into four regional research and education centers: Western Maryland (Keedysville); Central Maryland (Clarksville, Ellicott City, Cherry Hill, Beltsville, Upper Marlboro); Upper Eastern Shore (Wye Mills, Chase); and Lower Eastern Shore (Salisbury, Princess Anne, Poplar Hill). These research programs work to sustain competitive and profitable agriculture in Maryland; develop technology for new and changing agriculture, aquaculture, and related industries; and develop scientific criteria and knowledge for addressing environmental and natural resource issues.

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EXTENSION
1200 Symons Hall, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742

The University of Maryland Extension was authorized as the Cooperative Extension Service by federal and State laws in 1914 and is supported by federal, State and county funds (Chapter 247, Acts of 1914). In 1990, the Service was placed under the Maryland Institute for Agriculture and Natural Resources and, in 1993, under the College of Agriculture. Since 1995, the Service has been overseen by the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Maryland, College Park. In March 1999, it was renamed the Maryland Cooperative Extension, and in May 2009 its present name was adopted to strengthen the connection between the University and its land-grant extension mission.

The Extension informs and educates Marylanders about agricultural matters and pinpoints the needs and problems of people for further scientific research. As the statewide, out-of-the-classroom component of the University System of Maryland, the Extension is based in each county and Baltimore City. Locally, Extension agents work to improve agricultural profitability, promote economic stability, foster marine and aquaculture industries, and expand urban benefits of agricultural technology. Faculty are supported by State program specialists at the University of Maryland, College Park; the University of Maryland Eastern Shore; the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science; and four off-campus centers.


[photo, Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland]

COLLEGE OF ARTS & HUMANITIES

1102 Francis Scott Key Hall, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742 - 7311

The College of Arts and Humanities traces to 1918, when the Division of Language and Literature organized. In 1919, it reformed as the School of Liberal Arts. The School of Liberal Arts joined with the School of Chemistry in 1921 to become the College of Arts and Sciences. In 1972, the College disbanded with the creation of the Division of Arts and Humanities. When the Division was abolished in 1986, the College organized under its present name.

Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, August 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


COLLEGE OF BEHAVIORAL & SOCIAL SCIENCES

2141 Tydings Hall, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742

The College of Behavioral and Social Sciences includes the departments of African-American Studies; Anthropology; Criminology and Criminal Justice; Economics; Geographical Sciences; Government and Politics; Hearing and Speech Sciences; Psychology; and Sociology.


COLLEGE OF COMPUTER, MATHEMATICAL & NATURAL SCIENCES

A. V. Williams Building, Room 3400, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742

In 2010 , the College of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences formed from the merger of two colleges: the College of Chemical and Life Sciences, and the College of Computer, Mathematical and Physical Sciences.

The College of Chemical and Life Sciences had originated as the Division of Agriculture and Life Sciences in 1973, and reorganized as the College of Life Sciences in 1986. From 2005 to 2010, it was named the College of Chemical and Life Sciences.

The College of Computer, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, in turn, had started in 1973 as the Division of Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. It reorganized as the College of Computer, Mathematical and Physical Sciences in 1986 and retained that name until 2010.

Ten departments offer programs in the College of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences: Astronomy; Atmospheric and Oceanic Science; Biology; Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics; Chemistry and Biochemistry; Computer Science; Entomology; Geology; Mathematics; and Physics.


COLLEGE OF EDUCATION

Benjamin Building, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742

In 1918, the College of Education began as the Division of Vocational Education. In 1919, it reformed as the School of Education and, in 1921, as the College of Education.

Undergraduate, master's and doctoral programs are offered at the College through three departments: Counseling, Higher Education and Special Education; Human Development and Quantitative Methodology; and Teaching and Learning, Policy, and Leadership.


COLLEGE OF INFORMATION STUDIES

Hornbake Library Building, Campus Drive
University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742 - 4345

The Graduate School of Library Science opened in 1965. It later was renamed the School of Library and Information Services, then the College of Library and Information Services, and in July 2000, the College of Information Studies.


MERRILL COLLEGE OF JOURNALISM

Knight Hall, Room 1100, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742

The Philip Merrill College of Journalism was founded as the Department of Journalism and Public Relations within the College of Business and Public Administration in 1947 and was renamed the Department of Journalism in 1966. It became the College of Journalism within the Division of Arts and Humanities in 1972. When the Division was abolished in 1986, the College retained its name. In 2001, it was named after Philip Merrill (1934-2006), publisher, diplomat, and benefactor of the College.


SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, PLANNING & PRESERVATION

Mowatt Lane & Campus Drive, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742

In 1967, the School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation formed as the School of Architecture. From 1972 until 1986, it was housed within the Division of Arts and Humanities. It received its present name in 2000.

The School offers an undergraduate program in Architecture; and graduate programs in Architecture, International Studies in Architecture, Historic Preservation, and Urban Studies and Planning.


[photo, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland]

SMITH SCHOOL OF BUSINESS

Van Munching Hall, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742

The Robert H. Smith School of Business traces its origins to the formation of the Department of Business Administration and Commerce in the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921. At that time, extension courses in commerce were offered in Baltimore and, in 1923, they were organized as the College of Commerce and Business Administration. Renamed the School of Business Administration in 1925, it closed in Spring 1926. That same year, the Department of Economics and Business Administration was established in the College of Arts and Sciences. The Department reformed in 1938 as the College of Commerce. It reorganized in 1942 as the College of Business and Public Administration. In 1972, it was renamed the College of Business and Management in the Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences. When the Division was abolished in 1986, the College retained its name. In 1998, the School of Business was named after Robert H. Smith, an alumnus and benefactor.

Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, August 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


CLARK SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING

Glenn L. Martin Hall, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742

The A. James Clark School of Engineering was founded in 1894 as the Department of Mechanical Engineering. By 1916, the Department of Civil Engineering and the Department of Electrical Engineering and Physics had formed. In 1918, these departments were placed under the Division of Engineering. The Division was elevated to the School of Engineering in 1920 and, in 1921, became the College of Engineering. The Glenn L. Martin College of Engineering and Aeronautical Sciences was created in 1949 and was named after aviation pioneer Glenn L. Martin (1886-1955). In 1955, the Glenn L. Martin Institute of Technology was established and included the College of Engineering.

From 1973 until 1986, the College of Engineering was part of the Division of Mathematical, Physical, and Engineering Sciences. It returned in 1986 under the Institute as the College of Engineering. In 1994, the School was renamed for alumnus and benefactor, A. James Clark (1927-2015), head of the Clark Construction firm.

WATER RESOURCES RESEARCH CENTER
In accordance with the federal Water Resources Research Act of 1965, the Maryland Water Resources Research Center was established at the University of Maryland in 1965 (42 U.S.C. 10301 et seq.). The federal law designates the Center as the water resources and technology institute in Maryland. Formerly under the College of Life Sciences, the Center transferred to the Clark School of Engineering in September 2001.

The Center supports research and trains water scientists and engineers to develop new technology and methods for resolving local, State and national water resource problems.


SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH

Health & Human Performance Building
Building 255, Valley Drive
University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742

The School of Public Health began in 1949 as the College of Physical Education, Recreation, and Health. From 1973 until 1986, the College was part of the Division of Human and Community Resources. In December 1989, it reorganized as the College of Health and Human Performance. The College reformed as the School of Public Health in September 2007.

Five departments make up the School: Behavioral and Community Health; Epidemiology and Biostatistics; Family Science; Health Services Administration; and Kinesiology. Within the School also is the Center on Aging; the Center for Healthy Families; and the Maryland Institute for Applied Environmental Health.


[photo, Van Munching Hall, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland]

SCHOOL OF PUBLIC POLICY

2101 Van Munching Hall, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD 20742 - 1821

The School of Public Policy was created as the School of Public Affairs in 1981 and admitted its first students in September 1982. It received its present name in 2004.

Van Munching Hall, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, August 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


The School awards graduate professional degrees in public policy analysis, public management, and policy studies. In addition, the School offers joint degree programs with the College of Business and Management in College Park, and the University of Maryland School of Law in Baltimore.

University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright October 04, 2017 Maryland State Archives