UNIVERSITY OF BALTIMORE

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


[photo, Edgar Allan Poe statue (1921), by Moses Jacob Ezekiel, University of Baltimore, Gordon Plaza, 1429 Maryland Ave., Baltimore, Maryland] The University of Baltimore was founded in 1925 as a private coeducational institution. To serve working adults, the University initially offered evening programs and in 1927 added day courses as well. By 1970, Eastern College and the Mt. Vernon School of Law merged with the University of Baltimore, and in 1973 the former Baltimore College of Commerce affiliated with it.

Edgar Allan Poe statue (1921), by Moses Jacob Ezekiel, University of Baltimore, Gordon Plaza, 1429 Maryland Ave., Baltimore, Maryland, December 2006. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


The University joined the Maryland State system of higher education in 1975. At that time, it was designated an upper-division (junior-senior level) and graduate university. In 1988, the University of Baltimore became part of the University of Maryland System (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). The System was renamed University System of Maryland in 1997 (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).

Academic Center, University of Baltimore, 1420 North Charles St., Baltimore, Maryland, July 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


Career-oriented students are drawn to the University of Baltimore. Half are undergraduates and half are graduate students. More than 80 percent work full- or part-time. University services and programs are designed to support working students with a strong cooperative education program for undergraduates, convenient student service hours, and flexible scheduling of classes and programs. In the fall of 2006, the University became a four-year school, admitting freshmen and sophomores to a campus that formerly only served juniors, seniors, and graduate students.

Beginning with students who enter in Fall 2014, first-time freshmen are eligible for the Finish4Free Program. To address rising student debt and improve graduation rates, the University will offer free tuition in the final semester for students who are on track to graduate within eight semesters (four years).

The University is accredited by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business, the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration, and the American Bar Association, among others. It holds membership in the Association of American Law Schools.

University of Baltimore programs are administered through the Gordon College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Public Affairs, the Merrick School of Business, and the School of Law. The University houses the Schaefer Center for Public Policy, the Hoffberger Center for Professional Ethics, the International and Comparative Law Center, and the Jacob France Institute.


[photo, Liberal Arts & Policy Building, University of Baltimore, 10 West Preston St., Baltimore, Maryland]

GORDON COLLEGE OF ARTS & SCIENCES

1415 Maryland Ave., Baltimore, MD 21201 - 5779

Liberal Arts & Policy Building, University of Baltimore, 10 West Preston St., Baltimore, Maryland, December 2008. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


The Yale Gordon College of Arts and Sciences originated in 1937 as a junior college, became a four-year institution as the College of Liberal Arts in 1961, and began to offer graduate programs in 1974. The College was named for J. Yale Gordon, an alumnus and businessman, in 1982. In July 2010, it recieved its present name.

Within the College are the Klein Family School of Communications Design, and three divisions: Applied Behavioral Sciences; Legal, Ethical and Historical Studies; and Science, Information Arts and Technologies.

HOFFBERGER CENTER FOR PROFESSIONAL ETHICS
1420 North Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21201 - 5779

Established in 1987, the Hoffberger Center for Professional Ethics is part of the Gordon College of Liberal Arts. The Center promotes ethical awareness and discussion of ethical issues in curricula and academic programs.


COLLEGE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS

Liberal Arts & Policy Building, 10 West Preston St., Baltimore MD 21201

The College of Public Affairs was established in July 2010.

Within the College are the School of Criminal Justice, the School of Health and Human Services, and the School of Public and International Affairs.


[photo, Schaefer Center for Public Policy entrance, University of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland] SCHAEFER CENTER FOR PUBLIC POLICY
1304 St. Paul St., Baltimore, MD 21202 - 2786

The Schaefer Center for Public Policy was established in 1985 as part of the Gordon College of Liberal Arts. In July 2010, the Center transferred to the College of Public Affairs within which it was made part of the School of Public and International Affairs. It is named for William Donald Schaefer, Maryland governor (1987-95) and comptroller (1999-2007).

Schaefer Center for Public Policy entrance, University of Baltimore, 1304 St. Paul St., Baltimore, Maryland, July 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


The Center provides management consulting and training, research, program evaluation and analysis, opinion research, and strategic planning services to government and nonprofit organizations.

MERRICK SCHOOL OF BUSINESS

William H. Thumel, Sr., Business Center, 11 West Mt. Royal Ave., Baltimore, MD 21201

The Merrick School of Business was formed in 1925 as the School of Business Administration. From 1945 to 1970, it functioned as the School of Business, Industry and Management. It reformed as the School of Business in 1970 and, in 1982, received its present name. The School was named after Robert G. Merrick, Sr. (1895-1986), former president of the Equitable Bank.

Within the School are five departments: Accounting; Finance and Economics; Information Systems and Decision Science; Management and International Business; and Marketing and Entrepreneurship.

JACOB FRANCE INSTITUTE
1420 North Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21201 - 5779

Within the Merrick School of Business, the Jacob France Institute was established in 1989 as the Jacob France Center. It received its present name in September 2001. The Center was named for Jacob France (1882-1962), a founding director of the Equitable Trust Company who chaired its board from 1929 to 1962.

The Institute seeks to increase public awareness of factors that affect business profitability. It distributes corporate and government grants and contracts to faculty researchers, publishes project findings, and conducts research for community organizations.


[photo, John and Frances Angelos Law Center, University of Baltimore, 1401 North Charles St., Baltimore, Maryland]

SCHOOL OF LAW

John & Frances Angelos Law Center, 1401 North Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21201

Mailing address: 1420 North Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21201

The School of Law was established in 1925 as a part-time evening program of the University of Baltimore. In 1969, a full-time day division was added. In 1970, the school merged with the Eastern College, Mount Vernon School of Law.

John & Frances Angelos Law Center, University of Baltimore, 1401 North Charles St., Baltimore, Maryland, July 2014. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright September 29, 2015 Maryland State Archives