SALISBURY UNIVERSITY

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


[photo,  Teacher Education & Technology Center, Salisbury University, Salisbury, Maryland] The origin of Salisbury University dates from 1922 when the General Assembly established a commission to choose an Eastern Shore locale for a two-year teachers college. A site was selected and the institution opened as the State Normal School at Salisbury in September 1925 (Chapter 280, Acts of 1924). "Normal" came from the French ecole normale, and the Prussian normal schools, that influenced American educators to establish norms or standards for the training of teachers.

Teacher Education & Technology Center, Salisbury University, West College Ave. at U.S. Route 13, Salisbury, Maryland, October 2013. Photo by W. Bruce Evartt.


By 1931, the School's two-year course of study was changed to a three-year program, and by 1934, to a four-year program. In 1935, the School was authoized to grant the Bachelor of Science, and was renamed the State Teachers College at Salisbury. The academic course of study expanded further in 1947 and 1960 when programs in both the arts and sciences were offered, and in 1962 when graduate work began.

The College was renamed Salisbury State College in 1963 (Chapter 41, Acts of 1963). It became Salisbury State University in 1988 (Chapter 366, Acts of 1988), and was made part of the University of Maryland System the same year (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). Renamed in 1997, the System became the University System of Maryland (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997). On July 1, 2001, the University also was renamed as Salisbury University (Chapter 225, Acts of 2001).

Nationally accredited, Salisbury University is a four-year liberal arts university. It offers 42 undergraduate and 16 graduate degree programs. University courses include four-year undergraduate programs in liberal arts and sciences; and in the professional fields of business administration, education, medical technology, nursing, respiratory therapy, and social work. In addition, the University's graduate division offers 14 master's degree programs in business administration, education, english, history, nursing, and psychology, and 2 doctoral programs in education and nursing practice.


ACADEMIC AFFAIRS

Academic Affairs oversees the four schools of the University: the Perdue School of Business, the Seidel School of Education and Professional Studies, the Fulton School of Liberal Arts, and the Henson School of Science and Technology.


PERDUE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS

Perdue Hall, Salisbury University, U.S. Route 13, Salisbury, MD 21801

Established in 1985 as the School of Business, the Franklin P. Perdue School of Business was named in 1986 after businessman and alumnus Franklin P. Perdue (1920-2005).

The Perdue School offers degree programs through its four departments in Accounting and Legal Studies, Economics and Finance, Information and Decision Sciences, and Management and Marketing.


SEIDEL SCHOOL OF EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL STUDIES

Conway Hall, Salisbury University, West College Ave. at U.S. Route 13, Salisbury 21801

Origins of the Samuel W. and Martha C. Seidel School of Education and Professional Studies trace to 1925 when the State Normal School at Salisbury opened as a two-year college for the training of elementary school teachers. Renamed the State Teachers College at Salisbury in 1935, it became Salisbury State College in 1963 at which time education was one of what would become several departments in the College. In 1997, the School was renamed for Samuel W. Seidel, Salisbury businessman and civic leader, and his wife, Martha C. Seidel, a retired nurse.

The Seidel School offers undergraduate programs in athletic training, exercise science, teacher education, and social work. Its graduate programs cover teacher education and social work.


FULTON SCHOOL OF LIBERAL ARTS

Fulton Hall, Salisbury University, 1101 Camden Ave., Salisbury, MD 21801

Formed in 1985 as the School of Liberal Arts, the Charles R. and Martha N. Fulton School of Liberal Arts was endowed and named in 1990.

The largest school within the University, Fulton School consists of thirteen departments offering undergraduate and graduate programs in the humanities, social sciences, and visual and performaing arts.


HENSON SCHOOL OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY

Henson Science Hall, Salisbury University, Salisbury, MD 21801

The Richard A. Henson School of Science and Technology originated in 1985 as the School of Math and Science. In 1988, the School was named for Richard A. Henson (1910-2002), pioneer aviator, inventor, and business executive.

The Henson School offers fields of study in biological sciences, chemistry, geography and geosciences, health sciences, mathematics and computer science, nursing, and physics.

University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright September 20, 2016 Maryland State Archives