Walters Arts Museum, 600 North Charles St., Baltimore, Maryland, August 2009. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
The arts in Maryland reflect the State's geographic and cultural diversity from traditional Appalachian fiddle music in Western Maryland and African-American quilting on the lower Eastern Shore to experimental performance and media arts in metropolitan Baltimore and areas surrounding Washington, DC. The arts industry represents some $634 million in the State's economy, fueled by an audience of nearly 10 million each year.
Main Building foyer, Maryland Institute College of Art, 1300 Mount Royal Ave., Baltimore, Maryland, April 2012. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Paintings, photography, and sculpture, along with special presentations of film and music are presented in Maryland's many museums, and sometimes at public sites of government agencies, such as the State Archives, or the Baltimore City Circuit Court and Baltimore Bar Library Art Collection.
Arts institutions of national prominence, such as the Baltimore Symphony, are found in Maryland. Regional interdisciplinary arts institutions offer professional and amateur productions, and over 30 schools and academies are devoted to training young artists. Some, like Baltimore School for the Arts (a public high school) and the Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University, give public performances.
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, 1212 Cathedral St., Baltimore, Maryland, July 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Colleges and universities in Maryland host touring art exhibits, dance and theater troupes, soloists, chamber music groups, and orchestras. Among these are the Distinguished Artist Series of the U.S. Naval Academy; and art exhibits at the Elizabeth Myers Mitchell Gallery, St. John's College, Annapolis.
School 33 Arts Center 1427 Light St., Baltimore, Maryland, October 2007. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Through the Maryland State Arts Council, State government supports the performing, visual and creative arts. These include dance, drama, music drama, architecture, painting, sculpture, graphics, crafts, photography, design, film, television and creative writing. The Council also helps administer the Arts-In-Education Program which funds artists who work or hold workshops in public schools to supplement the school curriculum. At the county level, local arts councils are active, such as the Frederick Arts Council at Frederick, and the Queen Anne's County Arts Council at Centreville.
Fell's Point Corner Theatre, 251 South Ann St., Baltimore, Maryland, December 2008. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Fish Out of Water, Baltimore Public Art Exhibit
Mural of bumblebee, ladybug, and grasshopper in garden, Fleet St. (near South Caroline St.), Baltimore, Maryland, April 2008. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
, Jan. 2019
- Annapolis, Maryland Avenue Earth Day (Spring) Fest, April 22, 2018
- Baltimore, Light City, April 14-21, 2018
- Chestertown, Paint the Town, April 26-29, 2018
- Gaithersburg, Sugarloaf Crafts Festival, April 20-22, 2018
- Laurel, Montpelier Festival of Herbs, Tea & the Arts, April 28, 2018
- St. Michaels, Eastern Shore Sea Glass & Coastal Arts Festival, April 7-8, 2018
- Timonium, Sugarloaf Crafts Festival, April 27-29, 2018
- Annapolis, First Sunday Arts Festival, May 6 - Nov. 4, 2018
- Baltimore, Sowebo Arts and Music Festival, May 27, 2018
- Bethesda, Bethesda Fine Arts Festival, May 12-13, 2018
- Ewell, Smith Island Arts Festival, May 26, 2018
- Havre de Grace, Decoy and Wildlife Art Festival, May 2018
- Mount Airy, Caribbean Festival, May 26-27, 2018
- Ocean City, Spring Arts and Crafts Show, May 26-27, 2018
- Oxford, Fine Arts @ Oxford, May 20, 2018
- Smith Island, Arts Festival, May 26, 2018
- Sunderland, Calvert Arts Festival, All Saints' Episcopal Church, May 12, 2018
- Sykesville, Art and Wine Festival, May 6, 2018
- Thurmont, Spring in the Village - Art at the Furnace, May 5-6, 2018
- Westminster, Secret Garden Caribbean Music, Arts and Wine Festival, May 13, 2018
- Annapolis, Annapolis Arts & Wine Festival, June 2018
- Columbia, Fine Arts & Crafts Festival, June 14-30, 2018
- Frederick, Festival of the Arts, June 1-3, 2018
- Joppa, Joppatowne Arts Festival, June 2018
- Oldtown, Summer Fest, June 16-17, 2018
- Westminster, Art in the Park at City Hall, June 2, 2018
- Westminster, Secret Garden R&B & Neo-Soul Wine, Music & Arts Festival, June 2018
- Baltimore, Baltimore Artscape, July 20-22, 2018
- Easton, Plein Air Competition and Arts Festival, July 15-22, 2018
- Ellicott City, Paint It! Ellicott City, July 5-9, 2018
- Mount Airy, Summer Reggae Wine Festival, July 21-22, 2018
- North Beach, Sunrise: A Celebration of the Arts Festival, July 2018
- Swanton, Art in the Park at Deep Creek Lake State Park, July 14-15, 2018
- Westminster, Common Ground on the Hill Hill's Roots Music & Arts Festival, July 2018
- Westminster, Secret Garden Reggae Wine, Music & Arts Festival, July 2018
"We the People" mural, St. Paul St. & East Lafeyette St., Baltimore, Maryland, September 2014. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
- Berlin, Annual Pine'eer Arts & Crafts Festival, Aug. 4, 2018
- Earleville, Mount Harmon Lotus Blossom Art & Nature Festival, Aug. 4, 2018
- Havre de Grace, Art Show, Aug. 18-19, 2018
- Ocean City, Art's Alive, Aug. 25-26, 2018
- Ocean City, Artists Paint OC - A Plein Air Paintout, Aug. 8-12, 2018
- Westminster, Secret Garden Farewell Summer Wine, Music & Arts Festival, Aug. 2018
- Baltimore, Madonnari Arts Festival, Sept. 7-10, 2018
- Bel Air, Festival For the Arts, Sept. 16, 2018
- Bel Air, Harford Plein Air Art Festival, Sept. 24-29, 2018
- Catonsville, Arts and Crafts Festival, Sept. 9, 2018
- Dowell, Artsfest 2018, Sept. 15-16, 2018
- Havre de Grace, Fall Harvest & Crafts Festival, Steppingstone Farm Museum, Sept. 29-30, 2018
- Havre de Grace, Fish, Fowl & Folk Festival, Sept. 2018
- Hyattsville, Downtown Hyattsville Arts & Ales Festival, Sept. 22, 2018
- McHenry, Deep Creek Lake Art & Wine Festival, Sept. 8, 2018
- Point of Rocks, Art at the Point, Sept. 2018
- Salisbury, National Folk Festival, Sept. 7-9, 2018
- Solomons Island, Solomons Plein Air Festival, Sept. 2019
- Stevensville, Music & Art in the Park, Sept. 2018
- Annapolis, Art@the Park 2018 – Quiet Waters Park, Oct. 2018
- Centreville, Annual Artisan's Festival, Oct. 2018
- Easton, Academy Art Museum Craft Show, Oct. 19-21, 2018
- Gaithersburg, Sugarloaf Crafts Festival, Oct. 19-21, 2018
- Mount Airy, Autumn Reggae Festival, Oct. 2018
- Rockville, Bethesda Row Arts Festival, Oct. 13-14, 2018
- Timonium, Sugarloaf Crafts Festival, Oct. 12-14, 2018
- Westminster, Secret Garden Autumn R&B & Neo-Soul Wine, Music & Arts Festival, Oct. 2018
- Easton, Waterfowl Festival, Nov. 9-11, 2018
- Frederick, Sailing Through Winter Solstice, Carroll Creek Park, Nov. 18, 2017 - Feb. 3, 2018
- Gaithersburg, Sugarloaf Crafts Festival, Nov. 16-18, 2018
- Pocomoke City, Christmas Arts & Crafts Festival, Nov. 2018
© Copyright April 16, 2018 Maryland State Archives