The above image of the State House was made by Charles Willson Peale shortly after the State House was completed and was published in the Columbian Magazine in February 1789. This image of the State House is especially notable because it also shows some of the other buildings on State Circle at the time, including the home of John Shaw at the far left. To the right of the State House are Old Council Chamber and Ball Room, built in 1718 and the octoganal outdoor privy known as the "temple." At the far right is the Old Treasury Building which was built in 1735 and is still the oldest public building in Annapolis.
Return to Maryland State House Homepage
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov
© Copyright July 26, 2007 Maryland State Archives