School Teachers of Early Maryland
by Robert Barnes
MSA SC 5300
SCHOOLS AND SCHOOLHOUSES
St. Mary's County:
Trinity Church congregation at Newport under the direction
of Rev. Isaac Campbell, built a "Chapel of Ease," another sanctuary
nearby at Benedict. The Chapel of Ease, now called Oldfields Chapel
in Charles County, was completed in 1769 and is still used today
as a regular house of worship.
During the War of 1812, Benedict was the landing site for
4,500 British troops. Oldfields Chapel was used as a campground for
the forces who marched to the nation's capitol and burned the city. Two
soldiers died and were buried in the cemetery that surrounds the
church. (This information was taken from a Charles County, Maryland
website giving information about Historic Churches of the area).
(Data provided by John Earl Dersch, 623 Colonial Drive, DeKalb, Illinois
60115 (815) 758-8784 email: email@example.com/ who has kindly
given permission to supply his name and address).
St. Mary's County would never be complete without a word
regarding Charlotte Hall School, which is located on the state road to
Leonardtown. In colonial times, the place was known as The Cool Springs....Its
history may be traced directly back to the free public schools, established
in St. Mary's county, under the General Act of 1723.
In 1774 the free schools of St. Mary's, Charles and Prince
George's counties were united, their funds were merged and a school for
the 3 counties was ordered to be erected at The Cool Springs, to be known
as Charlotte Hall. The first meeting of the trustees was held July 1, 1774
with the following members in attendance: the Hon. George Plater, Esq.,
Rev. George Goundrill, Messrs. John Reeder, Thomas Bond, Richard Barnes,
Philip Key and Henry G. Sothoron - St. Mary's County; the Rev. Isaac Campbell,
Messrs. Francis Ware, Josias Hawkins and Dr. James Craik - Charles County;
Rev. Henry Addison, Messrs. Josias Beall, Robert Tyler, Thomas Contee and
Dr. Richard Brooke - Prince George's County. The school was first opened
January 1, 1797.
In 1774, by authority of the general assembly, the lands
belonging to the schools in Charles, St. Mary's and Prince George's were
sold and the school in St. Mary's County was created and named Charlotte
Hall, in honor of the Queen of England. In 1798 the school fund of Calvert
County was added, but subsequently both Calvert and Prince George's
counties withdrew." (Data provided by John Earl Dersch, 623 Colonial Drive,
DeKalb, Illinois 60115 (815) 758-8784 email: firstname.lastname@example.org/
who has kindly given permission to supply his name and address.).
Talbot County: The Charity School
In Nov 1744, Robert Laws, age c65., dep. that one day walking with his
(now deceased) father John Laws and his brother William Laws, his father
pointed out bounders of his land. He mentioned later presence of William
Bozman and his father discussing "east side of the island", an old schoolhouse
and the mouth of King's Creek (SOJU Nov 1744 Court:297).
In Nov 1746 John Robertson and John Baird, petitioned, that as "complaint
has been made by Several persons that there is no publick Road to the publick
School and to those living in the same Neck, and the private Roads to the
same being often either shut up or Scarce passible...", for a public road,
it was ordered that "Capt. Samuel Wilson and Capt. Henry Ballard lay out
a Road - from the County Road...from KING's Mill to Princess Ann Town -
the most convenient and best way to the Free School - and from thence to
Capt. TUNSTALL's gate, and to be under Michael Dorman, overseer of the
roads" (SOJU 1745-1747:198).
Also in Nov 1746, The Visitors [i.e., Supervisors] of the Public School
Robert King, Henry Ballard, William Stoughton, George
Dashiell, petitioned for commission on Smiths Recovery, a parcel laid out
originally for 700 acres for Henry Smith, 90 acres of which is in trust
for the benefit of the School. The Commissioners named were David Wilson,
Samuel Wilson, Henry Waggaman and Thomas Jones of Manokin (SOJU 1745-1747:198).
Michael Dorman at March 1746/7 Court, was to be overseer of a new Road
to be cleared from the north side of the Upper Fork Branch
down the north side of same until it comes against Whittington KING's house,
thence across the branch and down the south side of the Branch to
the School House, thence to Tunstall Hack's. (SOJU 1745-47:274).
In Sep 1758 Arnold Elzey, Jr., register, advertised to hire a schoolmaster
(AMG 28 Sep 1750). He advertised again in Aug 1760 (AMG 7 Aug 1760).
W. Goldsborough, register, advertised for a master for Talbot Co. School
(AMG 18 Oct 1745).
Samuel Chamberlaine advertised for a schoolmaster (AMG 30 Dec 1747).
A notice regarding the Charity School in St. Peter's Parish, TA.
Co., gave the names of trustees (AMG 9 June 1751).
A notice appeared advertising a concert of music to be given to benefit
the Talbot County Charity School (AMG 2 Oct 1751).
A music concert was to be held at the Ball Room in Upper Marlborough
next Wed., to benefit the Talbot County Charity School (AMG 12 Oct
Thomas Bacon, Rector of St. Peter's, advertised a new building at
the Talbot County Charity School. Interested persons should apply to Dr.
Hamilton in Annapolis to see the plans (AMG 12 April 1753).
Rev. Thomas Bacon listed the contributors from VA. who gave to the
Talbot Co. Charity Working School (AMG 9 Dec 1754)..
List of Abbreviations and References
Return to Main Page
Copyright May 31, 2012Maryland