Beginning in 1692, each Maryland county was assigned an official to oversee local probate matters, known as the deputy commissary. The deputy commissaries reported to the Commissary General, the chief judge of the Prerogative Court, colonial Maryland's central probate court. The office was eliminated under Maryland's Revolutionary Constitution of 1776, and replaced by the position of Register of Wills.
For a more detailed discussion of the deputy commissary's duties, see Elisabeth Hartsook and Gust Skordas. Land Office and Prerogative Court Records of Colonial Maryland. (Annapolis: Hall of Records Commission, 1946), 88-89.
See also Donnell MacClure Owings. His Lordship's Patronage (Baltimore: Maryland Historical Society, 1953), 40-41.
|1694-c. 1701/02||John Thompson |
1. John Thompson, whose name was sometimes given as Johanne, died in office between December 1701 and March 1701/02, and was succeeded by Matthias Vanderheyden.
Cecil County Register of Wills (Wills) MSA C 646
Prerogative Court (Testamentary Papers) MSA S 541
Prerogative Court (Testamentary Proceedings) MSA S 529
Edward C. Papenfuse, et al., eds. A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789.
© Copyright February 19, 2015Maryland State Archives