clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
The County Courthouses and Records of Maryland -- Part 2: The Records
Volume 546, Page 66   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space

portion of the Court house of Baltimore City and County, on the 13th day of February,
in the 58th year of the Independence of these United States, which endangered the
Safety of the whole building, and of the records therein contained, induced the Legis-
lature of the State of Maryland, at the ensuing Session, in order to prevent the re-
currence of a similar risk, to pass an act to authorize the repairing of the Court house,
and to erect a separate and fire-proof building, for the safe keeping of the records of
Baltimore County Court, and the Orphans' Court of Baltimore County.

In partial compliance with that act, under the direction of the original, and now
venerable builder, George Millerman, the repairs of the Court house have progressed
nearly to their completion, and in furtherance of its full execution, this corner Stone
of Baltimore City and County Record office, is now, on this 28th day of June, in the 60th
year of the Independence of these United States, laid in its place, and the erection of
the building commenced by the Commissioners constituted to carry the act of the Legis-
lature into effect, with the architect, Clerk and builders appointed by them.

Solomon Etting, President.—Joseph Wilkins, William Jenkins, Edward Gray,
Samuel Parker, Fielding Lucas, Jr., Commissioners.—Robert C. Long, architect.—
Thomas R. Hand, Clerk.—Charles Timanus, Thomas Dean, Samuel Tucker, Nicholas
Watkins, John W. Watkins, builders.

The Commissioners have been induced by order and established usage to deposit
in this corner Stone the national coins of this date—the newspapers of the day, and
the following documents, Viz.: The Declaration of Independence; The Constitution of
the United States; The Constitution and Bill of Rights of the State of Maryland; A
copy of the Act authorizing the erection of the building; The names of the several States
and Territories at the present time composing the Union; The names of the officers of
the Government of the United States; The names of the Governor of the State and
Executive Council; The Chancellor; The Judges of the Court of Appeals; The Judges
of the District Court of the United States for the State of Maryland; The Attorney of
the United States for the State of Maryland; The Collector of the Customs for the
Port of Baltimore; Surveyor of the Port; Naval officers of the Port; Marshall of the
United States for the District of Maryland; Clerk of the District Court; Judges of
Baltimore County Court; Clerk of Baltimore County Court; Sheriff of Baltimore
County; Judges of Baltimore City Court; Clerk of Baltimore City Court; Judges of the
Orphans' Court of Baltimore County; Register of Wills; Mayor of the City of Baltimore;
Members of both branches of the City Council; County Commissioners; Treasurer and
Clerk; City Commissioners and Clerk; Commissioners of Health and Secretary; Com-
missioners of public schools; Register of the City; Collector of the City; Members of
the Senate and House of Representatives in Congress from the State of Maryland.

These documents were then handed by the President of the Board to the Mayor,
requesting him, on the Chief authority of the City, to deposit them in the cavity pre-
pared for their reception; this done, the top Stone was lowered, and the ceremony
concluded. The building thus to be erected covers an area of 54 by 68 feet. The first, or
ground floor is intended for the accommodation of the County Clerk, and the Records
of the City and County. The Second floor is arranged for the Orphans' Court, with a
separate entrance and a Court room. Registers' and Retiring room, the first and last of
which arrangements must prove peculiarly grateful to females having business in the
Court. The building is to be of a plain Grecian Character, faced with dressed granite
from the Patapsco quarries, furnished by the Messrs. Ellicott, and the Stories through-
out are to be vaulted so as to render them completely fire proof."

The prolonged search for a county seat for the newly-created separate Baltimore County
ended, after three years, in the choice of Towson. In addition to the in-fighting, there were
of course, elections, and elections even in those days demanded propaganda of which the broad-
side favoring Towson herewith reproduced is a good example.

Circuit Court

LAND RECORDS, 1851--. Most volumes indexed. C.H. 1851--. L.O. 1949--, microfilm. H.R.
1851-1949, microfilm.

INDEX TO LAND RECORDS, 1851--. Campbell, 1851-1922; Cottco Universal, 1922--. C.H.
1851--. L.O. 1851-1950, microfilm. H.R. 1851-1950, microfilm.



clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
The County Courthouses and Records of Maryland -- Part 2: The Records
Volume 546, Page 66   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  August 02, 2018
Maryland State Archives