clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
Session Laws, 1828, 1829
Volume 540, Page 566   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space
                                RESOLUTIONS.                                                                                                                                                  1829.  

improving the navigation of Chester River, from Sutton's Point
Bar to the town of Millington, a distance of five miles, submit
the following Report:

    From the information which has been laid before them, it
appears that the town of Millington is situated in a rich, fertile,
and healthy country, and advantageously located for an extensive
and profitable trade; but, in consequence of certain obstructions
existing in Chester River, those advantages are not
available, and the trade of an extensive section of country,
which would otherwise flow through the channel of Millington
as a market, stimulating the enterprise, invigorating the commerce,
and adding to the prosperity and wealth of our own
citizens, seeks its passage through the town of Smyrna, in the
state of Delaware,  From a general view of the subject, the
committee are of opinion that the benefits and advantages likely
to result from the removal of the obstructions referred to,
to a large portion of Queen Ann's and Kent counties, are such
as to claim the favorable interposition of the State.  With this
view, they submit the following Resolutions:

    Resolved by the General Assembly of Maryland, That Wimbert
Tschudy, William Kerby, Doctor George O. Treachard,
John Turner, Doctor John T. Reese, and John M. Comegys,
be, and they are hereby, authorised to act as commissioners,
with powers to employ an engineer and surveyor, at their discretion,
if they shall deem the same to be necessary, whose
duty it shall be to examine, explore, and survey, that part of
Chester River, from Sutton's Point Bar to the town of Millington,
in Kent county, with a view to the ascertainment of the
practicability and expediency of the improvement contemplated
by the preceding reference; also, to digest and prepare
a plan or plans, for effectuating the said improvement, and to
report the same, with an estimate of the cost thereof, to the
Legislature, at its next session.

    Resolved, That the Governor, by and with the advice and
consent of the Council, be, and he is hereby authorised and
required, to make compensation to the commissioners, engineer,
and surveyor to be appointed under the foregoing resolution,
when they shall have discharged the duties therein prescribed,
as shall deem just and reasonable, by an order
drawn on the Treasurer of the Western Shore, who is hereby
directed to pay the same.


                                            No. 73.

A Resolution, with its preamble, relative to the State's claim
    to a certain tract of land called " Common Garden Corrected,"
    in Harford county.

Passed Jan. 1830.
    WHEREAS, the state has a claim on a certain tract of land

clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Session Laws, 1828, 1829
Volume 540, Page 566   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  October 10, 2023
Maryland State Archives