clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
Baltimore Wholesale Business Directory and Business Circular for the Year 1845
Volume 528, Page 8   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space


was made, pointedly illustrates the jealousy of the Legislature of that day, in
the provision inserted, that nothing in it should be construed to give " the in-
habitants of said town a right to elect delegates to the Assembly, as repre-
sentatives from the town'." In 1750, High street, from Ploughman to French,
with eighteen acres of ground, was added to the town. A tobacco inspection
house was erected on the west side of Charles street, and a public wharf was
commenced at the south end of Calvert street, which for a long time was
called, the " County Wharf."

In 1751, an unsuccessful attempt was made to erect a Market House and
Town Hall, by subsciiption. The opposing interests of the settlers on the op-
posite sides of the Falls, and disputes as to location, most probably defeated
the plan.. In 1752, there were in the town about twenty-five houses, four of
which were of brick. One of these, built by Wm. Payne, and occupied by
him as a tavern, is still standing, on the north-west corner of Calvert and Mer-
cer streets. The amount of shipping owned in the town at this period, was
one brig and one sloop; but there were probably several vessels owned in the
neighborhood. In the same year, thirty-two acres of Cole's Harbor, lying on
the south, west, and north of the first settlement, were added to the town.

After the defeat of Braddock, in 1755, parties of Indians passed within forts
Cumberland and Frederick, and ravaged the country within ninety miles of
the town. Great alarm prevailed, so that the inhabitants of the county fled to
Baltimore for safety, and preparations were made to put the women and chil-
dren on board of boats and vessels, in the harbor. The effect of the war un-
questionably was to promote the growth of the town ; since many, who would
have been disposed to take up lands in the interior, were deterred by the
danger, and gave the advantage of their capital and enterprise to the already
thriving mart.

In 1756, Mr. Andrew Steiger took the lot. on the north-east corner of Gay
and Baltimore streets. On the gable of the house at present standing there
are fixed the figures " 1741;" but this date is several years before the laying
out of that part of the town, and fifteen years before it was deeded to Steiger.
During the same year, many of the " neutral French," deprived of their pro-
perty in Nova Scotia by the British, and driven destitute from their homes,
took refuge in Baltimore, and were kindly received. By the exercise of great
industry and frugality, they obtained the means of purchasing much of the
ground on S. Charles street, where they at first erected rude cabins or huts.
As they continued to prosper, these gave place to substantial buildings of wood
or brick, erected mostly with their own hands. This part of the town was
long after known by the name of " French Town."

In 1765, many of the water lots on the Point had been taken ; and as it was
favorably situated for building and fitting out vessels, it became a rival of the
town. In fact, the first settlers were at a loss to determine in which part to
buy; and, finally, such as could command the means took lots both in the town
and on the Point. In the same year, thirty-five acres of the tract called Lunn's
Lot, were added to the town, including the streets afterwards called Conway
and Barre, in honor of the opponents of the stamp act, in the British parlia-
ment. The next year, a law was passed, appointing commissioners to have
the marsh between Frederick street and the Falls, filled up and added to the
town. Up to this time, the county courts had been held at Joppa, on the
Gunpowder river; but such had been the increase of Baltimore, and so great
was the inconvenience to which the inhabitants were subjected, in attending
court there, that in 1768 a law was passed, authorizing the erection of a Court
House and Prison on Calvert street, near Jones's Falls; which was carried
into effect. The former, built of brick and two stories high, occupied the


clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Baltimore Wholesale Business Directory and Business Circular for the Year 1845
Volume 528, Page 8   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  October 10, 2023
Maryland State Archives