clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
THE FIRST COLORED Professional, Clerical and Business DIRECTORY OF BALTIMORE CITY 8th Annual Edition, 1920-1921
Volume 500, Page 76   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space

Pastor of Bethel Church,

Corner Druid Hill Avenue and Lanvale Street
Baltimore, Md.

Born in Edwardsville, Ill., February 19. 1972. Was
educated in the public schools of Edwardsville, gra-
duating from the high schools of Edwardsville in
1887; became a teacher in the public schools, and
later moved to Southern Illinois and was made prin-
cipal of the Schools of Hodges Park, where he served
for eleven years. He was also Principal of the Public
Schools of Carrier-Mills, Ill., and the first principal
of the Colored High School of Marion, Ill. For
twenty-five years he has been actively engaged in
School work in his native State.

He has also been in the Ministry fourteen years,
his first appointment being at Edieth-Chapel, where
he rebuilt the Church and paid it out of debt.

He was then appointed to the Pastorate at Harrisburg, Ill., where he remodeled
the church and paid the entire debt'

While stationed at Harrisburg, Carrier-Mills, a thriving little mining town, was
attached, and Rev. Douglas built here a beautiful stone church, purchased two
beautiful lots and paid the entire cost of property and building.

After four successful years at Harrisburg, during which time the church was
taken out of the missionary list and made one of the best charges in the District,
he was appointed to the Pastorate of Marion, Ill. , a circuit comprising Marion
and Dew-Maine Here during his four years' service he built two churches and
a splendid parsonage; purchased two additional lots for the Marion people, and not
only paid the entire debt but also paid the Marion church out of the building and
loan—an obligation of $800.

He was then assigned to the historic Ward's-Chapel at Cairo, Ill. the best charge
in the Illinois annual Conference, and the head of the Cairo Presiding Elder District

Here he remodeled the church and par-
sonage at a cost of $2,500, and paid for
the same. Was elected to the Secretary-
ship of Wilberforce University; but de-
clined to accept the position, believing the
Divine Call to the Ministry of greater im-
portance than any other calling in the

In November 1917 the beautiful church
at Cario was destroyed by fire, and the
following March work was begun on the
present magnificent $50,000 structure,
which was completed just a few months
prior to Rev. Douglas' appointment to
Bethel this City.

It may be of interest to say that he laid
the foundation for the new Ward Chapel
at Cairo, March 25, 1918, and completed
the building worth $50,000 leaving only
$5,900 to be paid on the entire endebted-
ness by his successor.

Rev. Douglas has launched a great fin-
ancial campaign to free Bethel of her
$12,000 burden, and plans to give the con-
nection its most beautiful church free from
debt by November 22.




clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
THE FIRST COLORED Professional, Clerical and Business DIRECTORY OF BALTIMORE CITY 8th Annual Edition, 1920-1921
Volume 500, Page 76   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  October 10, 2023
Maryland State Archives