Eastern Dispensary.—This is at the corner of east Baltimore
street and Harlord Run. President Wm. McDonald—Physi-
cians Drs. Owens, Handy and Heitzelberger.
Fountains.—There are four public Fountains, or City Springs,
in Baltimore. 1st in Calvert street, east of Saratoga. 2nd At
the corner of Charles and Camden streets. 3d At the corner of
Rden and Pratt streets, Fell's Point. 4th At the head of the
Centre Market House. Exclusive of these, there are several
smaller fountains near the Point Market. The three first named
are not only conveniences but ornaments to the city, being sur-
mounted by domes and placed in enclosures, adorned with trees,
tfrass plots, gravel walks, &c. The water issirng from all these
fountains is of the finest quality.
Fort McHenry.—This celebrated fortification is on the point
of the peninsula which forms the southern boundary of Baltimore
harbor. A better situation for a fort could scarcely be conceived.
It is built on a regular and scientific plan, and its abilities for de-
fence were well tested on the memorable 13th of September 1814.
It belongs to the general government, which keeps there two or
three companies of artillerists.
General Dispensary.—In Holliday street, nearly opposite the
theatre, president, Luke Tiernan, treasurer, Matthew Smith,
attending physicians, Wm. E. Coale, G. H. Wetherall, Wm. Grier.
Hospital. The Maryland Hospital is situated on the old Joppa
road, on a rising ground, about a mile and a half from the court
house. This building makes a beautiful appearance, and has
within it accommodations for the "diseased oi all maladies." One
department is appropriated to lunatics, who are sent hither from
all parts of the state. The hospital is of brick, ornamented with
a cupola. The cost, including that of the grounds attached to it,
was $140,000. Potter's field, a free grave yard, is connected
with the hospital.
House of Refuge.—The Legislature of Maryland, at Decem-
ber session 1830, passed an act of incorporation for a house of
refuge in the City of Baltimore, and appropriated $20,000 for
the purpose of procuring the necessary buildings, but it seems
the design is not yet carried into execution, for want of sufficient
Infirmary,— Attached to the University of Maryland, situated
in Lombard, west of Green street. Patients are received at three
dollars per week, attended by the best physicians and nursed by
the Sisters of Chanty. This place is also used as the marine hos-
pital of the port.
Jail.—The Baltimore County Jail is placed on the northern
precincts of the City, near Jones's Falls. It was built in 1800,
and cost $90,000. We are told that it was modelled after an old
Italian castle, having two circular turrets at each end. The jail
is under the immediate charge of a warden, who acts under the
supervision of a board of visitors appointed by the executive