altered to suit present purposes. Cost including the alteration,
$100,000. It is managed by five trustees, who, at present are
William Dickinson, John King, Matthew Bennet, Samuel Rankin.
Arcades.—The Arcades now in use, are two in number, viz
the Maryland Arcade, extending from Market Space to Frederick
street, between Second and Water streets, and the Lexington
Arcade, near the Lexington Market. In both are sold dry-goods,
toys, fancy articles, &,c.
Armistead Monument.—This is placed in a Gothic niche, be
hind the Calvert street City Spring, h vvns erected to the
memory of Col. George Armistead, as a tribute of gratitude and
respect from his fellow-citizens, for his gallant defence of Fort
McHenry, Sept. 13, 1814.
Arsenal.—Seven miles from Baltimore, at a little village called
Pikesville, on the route of the Reisterstown turnpike, is situated
n United Slates Arsenal; a small, but commodious establishment,
very well adapted to the purpose.
Bath House.—The Colonade Baths are situated in Saratoga
street, between Calvert and North streets. This establishment
has been fitted up with taste and elegance, but seems not to
receive the encouragement it deserves.
Battle Monument—This elegant structure is placed in Monu-
ment Square. It commemorates the battle of North Point and
the bombardment of Fort McHenry. It is of white marble,
adorned with suitable devices of exquisite workmanship, and
surmounted by a statue representing the presiding divinity of
Baltimore. It was designed by Maximilian Godefroy. The sculp-
ture is by Senior Capellano, an Italian artist.
Bazaar.—The Bazaar runs from Harrison street to the Falls,
a little north of Baltimore street. It is divided into a number of
stalls for the sale of dry goods, groceries, fancy articles, china and
glass ware, &.c. It was built by Mr. Jacob Daley, and cost
City Hall.—This is a very plain building, but well suited to the
purpose to which it is now applied. It was formerly Peale's
Museum, and is situated in Holliday street, a little south of Sara-
toga. This building was purchased by the City from the stock-
holders of the Museum, and cost $10,000, including the necessary
alterations. It contains the offices of the Mayor, Register, City
Commissioners and Port Wardens, Commissioners of Health and
City Collector; also, the kills appropriated to the City Council,
which are on the second floor and exceedingly handsome and
Court House—Is situated at the corner of Lexington street
and Monument Square, nearly in the centre of the twelve wards.
This edifice is of brick, ornamented with pilasters of the Ionic
order. Being on the edge of a declivity, the base in front is
elevated ten or twelve feet above the level of Monument Square.
A paved coun yard surrounds the building. The Court House
was much injured by fire in 1834, but it is now restored to its for-