clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789 by Edward C. Papenfuse, et. al.
Volume 426, Page 788   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space


(elected in December 1774, but no meetings of
Congress were held), 1775-1776 (elected in April
1775, August 1775, May 1776, July 1776, and
November 1776; no evidence of attendance after
October 1776), 1777 (elected in February 1777,
but did not attend; declined to serve on February
22, 1777), 1777-1778 (elected in December 1777,
but did not attend until September 1778), 1783-
1784 (elected in November 1783, but did not at-
tend until March 1784); delegate, Federal Con-
vention that formed the Constitution, 1787
(elected, but declined to serve). ADDITIONAL
COMMENT: one of the four Maryland delegates to
the Continental Congress who signed the Dec-
laration of Independence. WEALTH DURING LIFE-

£1,574.11.6, including 32 slaves and 157 oz. plate,
1783; wife's dower, £1,000.0.0. LAND AT FIRST
ELECTION: 442 acres in Charles County, which he
purchased from his uncle Daniel Jenifer (by 1729-

FIRST ELECTION AND DEATH: purchased 2,406 acres

in Charles County (of which 206 acres were con-
fiscated British property) between 1777 and 1785;
secured 13-year lease on 20 acres, which in-
cluded a mill seat, mill, mill stones, and houses,
1782; purchased from his uncle, Daniel Jenifer (by
1729-1795), a house and lot in Annapolis, plus
three adjoining lots and two lots directly oppo-
site, 1783; by 1783 owned 175 acres of "Poynton
Manor," the ancestral home of the Stone family,
which he probably inherited; purchased one-fourth
of a one-tenth share of the Baltimore Iron Works
as confiscated British property, 1784. WEALTH AT
DEATH. DIED: on October 5, 1787, in Alexandria,
Virginia; buried at his estate, "Haber de Ven-
ture," in Charles County. ADDITIONAL COM-
MENT: When his wife died suddenly on June 1,
1787, Thomas retired from public office, and on
the advice of his doctors planned a sea voyage to
recover from his despondency. He died in Al-
exandria while awaiting the ship. PERSON AL PROP-
ERTY: TEV, at least £2,665.10.1 (including at least
25 slaves and a library of 530 law volumes and
258 other volumes). ADDITIONAL COMMENT: By
1798 a total of £4,189.18.10 had been added to
Stone's estate from both sperate debts and sales.
In 1809, 15 slaves, valued at $3,090, were given
to the estate in payment of a debt owed by the
estate of Stone's uncle, Daniel of St. Thomas Jen-
ifer (1723- 1790). LAND: ca. 3,000 acres in Charles
County; eight years remaining on a lease to 20
acres of mill land in Charles County; a house and
4 adjoining lots in Annapolis; one-fourth of one-

tenth share of the Baltimore Iron Works, acreage
not known.

STONE, WILLIAM (ca. 1603-ca. 1659/60). BORN.
ca. 1603, in England. IMMIGRATED: in 1648 or
1649, as a free adult with wife and children from
Virginia. RESIDED: in St. Mary's County; Charles


Stone, a merchant, of London. BROTHERS: An-
drew; John; Matthew; and Richard. MARRIED by
1640 Verlinda (?-1675), daughter of Thomas
Graves (?-ca. 1636) and wife Katherine. Her
brothers were John (by 1605-by 1640); Thomas
(ca. 1617-by 1674); and Francis (ca. 1630-by
1691), who married by 1678 Jane. Her sisters were
Ann (1620-1683), who married first, by 1637,
Rev. William Cotton, second, by 1642, Rev. Na-
thaniel Eaton, and third, ca. 1657, Rev. Francis
Doughty; Katherine, who married first, William
Roper, of Accomack County, Virginia, and sec-
ond, Thomas Sprigg (1630-1704) of Calvert
County, Maryland. CHILDREN. SONS: Thomas (ca.
1635-1676), a justice of Charles County in 1661,
who married Mary; Richard (?-1667); John Stone
(ca. 1648-1697); and Matthew (?-1676), clerk
of Charles County, 1674-1676, who married
Margery. DAUGHTERS: Elizabeth, who married in
1661/62 William Calvert (ca. 1642/43-1682); Mary,
who married first, John Thomas (?-1673) of Staf-
ford County, Virginia and Charles County, and
second, Robert Doyne (?-1689); and Catherine.


AFFILIATION: Anglican, probably had Puritan
grated to Virginia by 1628 as an agent of his uncle,
Thomas Stone; owned 5,250 acres in Virginia in
1640; was a recognized political leader in Virginia
with strong ties to the English and Chesapeake
Puritan communities when Lord Baltimore ap-
pointed him governor in 1648; recruited a sub-
stantial number of Virginia Protestants to Mary-
land; received Poynton Manor in 1654 for his
"laudable services," and for transporting himself,
his wife, four children, and four servants. OC-
LEGISLATIVE SERVICE: Upper House, 1658 (did
not attend). OTHER PROVINCIAL OFFICES: gover-
nor, 1648-1656 (replaced March 29- June 28, 1652,
and 1654-1656, by the Parliamentary Commis-
sioners); Council, 1656-ca. 1659/60; justice, Pro-
vincial Court, 1657/58-ca. 1659/60. MILITARY
SERVICE: captain, by 1659. OUT OF COLONY SERV-
ICE: Hungar's Parish Vestry, Accomack County,
Virginia, 1635; sheriff, Accomack County, 1634,



clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789 by Edward C. Papenfuse, et. al.
Volume 426, Page 788   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  August 02, 2018
Maryland State Archives