clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789 by Edward C. Papenfuse, et. al.
Volume 426, Page 527   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space


cluded in his account were legacies to his im-
mediate family totalling over £996.0.0. LAND: over
2,467 acres.

LEE, PHILIP THOMAS (1738-1778). BORN: in
1738 in Charles County; elder son. NATIVE: third
generation. RESIDED, in Charles County until 1753
when he left to attend school in England; re-
turned to Maryland in 1764 and stayed at least
one year before going back to London; brought
his wife and two older children with him to Mary-
land ca. 1773 and settled in Annapolis; during the
Revolution he probably resided at "Blenheim,"
his father's plantation in Charles County. FAMILY
BACKGROUND. FATHER: Richard Lee (ca. 1707-
1787), son of Philip Lee (ca. 1681-1744). MOTHER:
Grace Ashton (ca. 1713-1789) of Virginia. UN-
CLES: Francis Lee (?-1749); Arthur Lee (?-1760).
HALF UNCLES: Corbin Lee (?-1774); George Lee
(1736-1807). HALF AUNTS: Hannah Lee (ca. 1736-
by 1781), who married second, Joseph Sprigg
(1736-1800); Lettice Lee (?-1776), who married
third Joseph Sim (?-1793). BROTHER: Richard,
Jr. (?-1834). SISTERS: Sarah Lettice (?-1761),
who married in 1759 Philip Richard Fendall (?-
?); Hannah (?-1763), who married George Plater
(1735-1792); Alice (1748-1789), who married
John Weems (1737-1813); and Eleanor Ann (?-
1806). FIRST COUSINS: Thomas Sim Lee (1745-
1819); Philip Richard Fendall (?-?); Richard Potts
(1753-1808); Rebecca Potts, who married Ben-
jamin Mackell IV (1745-by 1810); Sarah Potts,
who married Thomas Gantt, Jr. (?-1808); and
Sarah Fendall (ca. 1732-1793), who married
Thomas Contee (ca. 1729-1811). MARRIED prob-
ably ca. 1766 his first cousin Ann (?-1777),
daughter of James Russell (1708-1788) and wife
Ann Lee (ca. 1711-1800), who was the daughter
of Philip Lee (ca. 1681-1744) and his first wife
Sarah Brooke Dent Lee (?-1724). James Russell
was born in Scotland and immigrated to Maryland
ca. 1729 as a merchant. He moved with his wife
and children to London ca. 1752 and by the 1760s
owned the most important London mercantile
house trading with Maryland. His Maryland
property included a one-third interest in the Not-
tingham Ironworks in Baltimore County, as well
as stores and/or warehouses at Upper Marlboro
and Nottingham in Prince George's County, Joppa
in Baltimore County, and Charlestown in Cecil
County. Ann Russell Lee's uncles were Francis
Lee (?-1749); Arthur Lee (?-1760); and Richard
Lee(ca. 1707-1787). Her half uncles were Corbin
Lee (?-1774) and George Lee (1736-1807). Her

sisters were Margaret, who married in 1756 Wil-
liam de Drusina (1726-1778) of Hamburg, a mer-
chant in London; Sarah, who married in 1757
Thomas Clerk (1722-1770) of Scotland, also a
London merchant; and Eleanor, who married in
1762 William Molleson (ca. 1732-1804) of Scot-
land, a merchant in London. Her first cousins
were Thomas Sim Lee (1745-1819); Philip Richard
Fendall (?-?); Philip Thomas Lee (1738-1778);
Sarah Lee (?-1761), who married Philip Richard
Fendall (?-?); Hannah Lee, who married George
Plater (1735-1792); Alice Lee (1748-1789), who
married John Weems (1737-1813); Richard Potts
(1753-1808); Rebecca Potts, who married Ben-
jamin Mackall IV (1745-by 1810); and Sarah Potts,
who married Thomas Gantt, Jr. (?-1808). CHIL-
DREN. SON: Russell (1776-1793), born in Mary-
land, died at "Blenheim" in Charles County after
a kick from a horse. DAUGHTERS: Sarah Russell
(ca. 1766-1810), who married in 1788 Benjamin
Contee; Ann; Eleanor (ca. 1771-?), who married
Dr. William Dawson of Yorkshire, England; and
Margaret Russell (ca. 1772-?), who married in
1793 her cousin James Clerk (1758-?). In 1804
James Clerk changed his family name to Clerk-

England, 1753-1756; admitted to Middle Tem-
ple, February 24, 1756; pensioner at Christ Col-
lege, Cambridge, 1757-1759. RELIGIOUS AFFILI
third generation legislator; member of the Lee
family of Maryland and Virginia and related by
blood and marriage to prominent merchants in
London, Maryland, and Virginia. OCCUPA-
TIONAL PROFILE: lawyer; called to the bar in Eng-
land on February 10, 1764; admitted to the Fred-
erick County Court in November 1764, to the
Prince George's County Court and the Provincial
Court in August 1765, and to the Charles County
Court by August 1765. PUBLIC CAREER. LEGIS-
LATIVE SERVICE: Upper House, 1773-1774 (ap-
pointed before or during the Convention). OTHER
PROVINCIAL OFFICES: Council, 1773-1776 (in of-
fice by October 29, 1773); justice, Provincial Court,
commissioned 1773; naval officer of North Po-
tomac, 1774-1777. LOCAL OFFICE: justice, Court
of Oyer, Terminer, and Gaol Delivery, Anne
Arundel County, commissioned 1769, 1770, 1773,
as a Loyalist until he signed the Oath of Fidelity
in 1778. Family tradition attributes his death to
distress over his native country's break with Eng-

ERTY: estate charged with 631 oz. plate in Charles



clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789 by Edward C. Papenfuse, et. al.
Volume 426, Page 527   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  August 02, 2018
Maryland State Archives