MARYLAND GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 505
The magnetic station was marked with a cedar stake and copper nail
6. KENT ISLAND, SOUTH BASE.—Captain T. J. Lee, U. S. Engineers, Acting
Assistant U. S. C. and G. Survey, determined the elements at this point in
South Base geodetic station was located near the western shore of Kent
Island, almost east from Thomas' Point, Chesapeake Bay, and near the
mouth of Price's Creek. From the best evidence at hand, Captain Lee's
station was 64 1/4 feet north of South Base geodetic station, in the line
between South Base geodetic station and North Base geodetic station.
Both of the monuments marking North and South Base have been washed
away since these observations were taken, but their old approximate posi-
tions are known to people living in the vicinity.
18. MARYLAND HEIGHTS.—Maryland Heights geodetic station is on Mary-
land Heights in Washington County opposite Harper's Ferry. It is near
the southeast corner of the stone fort and 18.20 metres distant from it. It
is also distant 9.88 metres and 15.15 metres from the two extreme southern
corners of the stone bastion projecting from the southern edge of the fort.
The geodetic station was securely marked with a copper bolt placed in a
large rock two feet below the ground with a stone post over it.
The magnetic station is in the fort 43.92 metres distant from the geodetic
station. The azimuth of the magnetic station at the geodetic station is
134° 21'.4. The magnetic station was marked by a stub and copper nail.
5. MARRIOTT.—Captain T. J. Lee, U. S. Engineers, Acting Assistant U. S.
C. and G. Survey, determined the elements at this point in 1846 and 1849.
Marriott geodetic station is in Anne Arundel County about a mile and a
half northeast of Owensville and about 6 1/2 miles from South River. It is
about 100 yards "west of the road leading from Annapolis to St. Mary's.
This geodetic station was established in 1844. It was then on the prop-
erty of B. Marriott, 99 feet from the main post of an old wind-mill and 34
feet 11 inches from a small hut on the side of a hill. Three stakes, each 30
feet distant, the first being in the direction of Taylor geodetic station and
the other two at right angles to that line, were driven in the ground as
From the best evidence at hand, Captain Lee's station of 1846 was 210
feet from the geodetic station in the direction of Taylor geodetic station.
The station of 1849 was 114 feet southwest of the geodetic station on the
south side of the hill. The hill is of gravel (drift with frequent nodules of
1. MASON'S LANDING.—This station was occupied by Assistant C. A.
Schott in 1856, and is in Worcester County. According to Mr. Schott's
description, it was on the south bank and near the mouth of Marshall's
Creek, and 115 feet north of the store-house on the wharf at the landing.
It was on the salt-water marsh, and the soil around the marsh consisted of
white sand mixed with shells.
14. NORTH POINT.—From. the best evidence at hand, Captain Lee's mag-
netic station was (in 1846) in close proximity to the Lower Light Station at
North Point and between the Upper and Lower North Point Lights.