SECOND REGIMENT CAVALRY.
THE Second Regiment of Cavalry, Maryland Volunteers, was organ-
ized at Baltimore and Annapolis, Md., from July 1, 1863, to August
The command consisted of five companies and was recruited for
The command was raised under the President's proclamation of
June 15th, 1863, calling for troops for a temporary emergency.
Companies A, B and E were recruited at Baltimore City, Com-
pany C in Howard County and Baltimore City, and Company D at Washington, D. C.
After its organization, the Second Maryland Cavalry Battalion, under the command
of its senior Captain, William F. Bragg, marched from Baltimore to Annapolis, Md., and
was assigned to duty at various points in Anne Arundel and Calvert Counties, Md.,
whilst part of one company remained on provost duty at Annapolis, Md.
The command performed the special duty assigned them until the expiration of its
terms of enlistment. Companies A and B were mustered out of service January 26,
1864, Companies C and D were mustered out of service February 6, 1864, and Com-
pany E, January 31, 1864.
Just prior to the expiration of their terms of enlistment, seventy men of the Second
Maryland cavalry re-enlisted for three years, and were assigned to the Third Maryland
cavalry, others of the command subsequent to their discharge, re-enlisted in Cole's
cavalry, Maryland Volunteers.
The casualties from death in the Second Maryland cavalry during their term of
service were as follows, viz.: Died of disease, 13.